OP
mitch91175

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also want to add that calibrated properly it is spot on with the ALK measurement. Once I get the noise fix installed, I will begin having it correct my ALK level if needed. I have a pretty good understanding of my ALK usage from my manual dosing days and can leverage the Alkatronic measurements.

I am a gadget nut and stuff like this is just as exciting and the reef itself. The hobby has gone a long way from an equipment standpoint and with competition comes creativity and those with the best stuff will have success.

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in the market for a dosing system and do not like the Neptune DOS because from what I have read is the pumps need frequent replacement.

Have you looked into GHL for your dosing needs? And thank you for an honest review, it's great seeing reviews like this and manufacturers coming through to fix things.

OP
OP
mitch91175

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve looked at the GHL and am still looking into it. I have multiple tanks so I will likely get a Dosetronic when released and have the Alkatronic and Dosetronic on my frag tank that I am setting up and who knows from there.

Right now testing out the Alkatronic in my display while setting up the frag tank. I am going to need another unit for my display once I start moving SPS to it. I want to grow out some of the SPS in the frag and some in the display. I am shooting for certain pieces in the display and not just any SPS. So I do not want to go through getting them to mini colonies and not like them for my display.

erky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
great review, and been following the alkatronics release thread for a while now. Currently dealing with a rtn event wonder if the alk monitor could of stopped it from happening. Don't think I missed an alk spike, but who knows I am super busy lately and cant test all the time.

OP
OP
mitch91175

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
great review, and been following the alkatronics release thread for a while now. Currently dealing with a rtn event wonder if the alk monitor could of stopped it from happening. Don't think I missed an alk spike, but who knows I am super busy lately and cant test all the time.

I'd recommend the unit based on my current experience with it. Alk is so important to our reefs that it is shocking that it has taken this long for products to hit the market that keeps us updated. I think the first one was about a year ago (at that time I had slacked on everything related to my tank so I started fresh again at the beginning of this year). You won't be disappointed in it keeping you updated on where you stand that's for sure. Time will tell the durability of the unit. It does have a 12 month limited warranty. Cannot tell you what all it covers so that is something that I am going to ask the manufacturer.

Kann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome thread! Any more updates since your last post?

I (like MANY others) was holding out on the Trident to also get the Calcium and Magnesium testing capability, but seems like it's one delay after another. I'm now considering the Alkatronic because, as you originally said, one big alk crash could wipe out thousands of dollars of corals.

Looks like everyone is out of stock right now awaiting another shipment, but I may pull the trigger as soon as CoralVue gets more in.

Again, thanks for the review and videos. This thread has been very helpful and informative!

OP
OP
mitch91175

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome thread! Any more updates since your last post?

I (like MANY others) was holding out on the Trident to also get the Calcium and Magnesium testing capability, but seems like it's one delay after another. I'm now considering the Alkatronic because, as you originally said, one big alk crash could wipe out thousands of dollars of corals.

Looks like everyone is out of stock right now awaiting another shipment, but I may pull the trigger as soon as CoralVue gets more in.

Again, thanks for the review and videos. This thread has been very helpful and informative!

No problem. Just to give you an idea, here are my updated measures from it:

upload_2018-4-16_9-18-7.png

OP
OP
mitch91175

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have LITERALLY measured (well the Alkatronic :)) 177 times since 3/23. It has not failed me at this point and I wouldn't think twice about buying it again, and again, and again. There is no way humanly possible that I could have done that without this unit. It has ABSOLUTELY changed my routine. I trust the machine SO much now that I do not even bother doing a measurement check with my Hanna checker.

What I have realized from using the Alkatronic is that my Kalk stirrer is not working how it should (so I am waiting for the Dosetronic and will decommission it). This thing is ABSOLUTELY amazing. You can ask anyone that has the unit and I have seen NOT ONE person regret the purchase for its intended use.

Every opportunity I get I give it the praise it deserves and HIGHLY recommend it to anyone. You have to love that the unit is standalone and can STILL send your measurement to the Apex (so no need to wait out for the Trident, ;)). Sure the Trident will measure calcium/magnesium, but to me magnesium is a waste to measure (at lease frequently) since it really doesn't fluctuate as much as alkalinity, even calcium for that sake.

So if you do want to take a certain action depending on your alkalinity then you still can trigger that based on the measurements from the Alkatronic using your Apex. Best of both worlds if you ask me.

Then you think about what they will do with the Dosetronic (which the Alkatronic already has a BNC port ready to go for it). I think that the Dosetronic will supplement other elements based upon your alkalinity usage/comsumption (but don't quote me on that).

Maybe @JonasRoman can shed a little light on some of the feature set.

Last edited:
OP
OP
mitch91175

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a .PDF of all of my 177 measurements since 3/23/18. Also, the 4L solution will last you a very, very long time.

Attachments

• Alkatronic Measurements.pdf
    36.2 KB · Views: 259

JonasRoman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Guys:)!
I really appreciate this thread and all feedbacks it gives us. I am happy for that nice reviews @mitch91175 give us here, especially when some issues in the beginning were solved:)

I want to mention that concerning the previous sound issue, as I said, that is 100% solved, and actually even better than I first told you.
The upgrade kit will be shipped at same time as we ship the batch 2, and that is the reason why this upgrade kit is some delayed(but not much), as we have to ship everything at one occasion to the distributor. The upgrade kit will contain besides 2 new motors replacing B and D ALSO 2 special antivibration-bushings for motor A, and for that also a new and better supportive rubber ring. The results is this:
1) For motor B and D the sound is dramatically reduced(maybe by 90%) and also another character of the sound as these pumps are replaced. Now only a small whispering sound, very low.
2) Pump A, with the new dampers, will be almost 100% silent, and that is amazing! We put this effort on also pump A as that stands for so much of the running time within a cycle, and that pump is now almost impossible to hear at all!

So that is the changes, which also from start are implemented in batch 2 we now are producing.

We are heading for interzoo, Nurnberg, and will meat our distributors there, 8-11 may, and around same time we estimate to be able to start shipping batch 2, and upgrade kit to all users who have batch 1.

And, for those who do not know already, the upgrade kit to get silent machine is for free for all users owning a batch 1 machine!, and the kit will be sent to the distributors. So they will in their turn ship it to you.

Dosetronic will be a 5 channel high precision dosing station, working both as standalone and can also be controlled, fin-tuned, autotuned, by Alkatronic, thus you will be able to dose ALL elements you want (Ca, Mg, trace) based on the KH consumption in the tank. We have started to work with Dosetronic and planning to launch it autumn 2018. All users owning an Alkatronic already from Batch 1 and onwards, can connect it to coming Dosetronic without any other equipments needed. We have built in the hardware from start in all units.

Happy reefing
Jonas Roman

OP
OP
mitch91175

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Guys:)!
I really appreciate this thread and all feedbacks it gives us. I am happy for that nice reviews @mitch91175 give us here, especially when some issues in the beginning were solved:)

I want to mention that concerning the previous sound issue, as I said, that is 100% solved, and actually even better than I first told you.
The upgrade kit will be shipped at same time as we ship the batch 2, and that is the reason why this upgrade kit is some delayed(but not much), as we have to ship everything at one occasion to the distributor. The upgrade kit will contain besides 2 new motors replacing B and D ALSO 2 special antivibration-bushings for motor A, and for that also a new and better supportive rubber ring. The results is this:
1) For motor B and D the sound is dramatically reduced(maybe by 90%) and also another character of the sound as these pumps are replaced. Now only a small whispering sound, very low.
2) Pump A, with the new dampers, will be almost 100% silent, and that is amazing! We put this effort on also pump A as that stands for so much of the running time within a cycle, and that pump is now almost impossible to hear at all!

So that is the changes, which also from start are implemented in batch 2 we now are producing.

We are heading for interzoo, Nurnberg, and will meat our distributors there, 8-11 may, and around same time we estimate to be able to start shipping batch 2, and upgrade kit to all users who have batch 1.

And, for those who do not know already, the upgrade kit to get silent machine is for free for all users owning a batch 1 machine!, and the kit will be sent to the distributors. So they will in their turn ship it to you.

Dosetronic will be a 5 channel high precision dosing station, working both as standalone and can also be controlled, fin-tuned, autotuned, by Alkatronic, thus you will be able to dose ALL elements you want (Ca, Mg, trace) based on the KH consumption in the tank. We have started to work with Dosetronic and planning to launch it autumn 2018. All users owning an Alkatronic already from Batch 1 and onwards, can connect it to coming Dosetronic without any other equipments needed. We have built in the hardware from start in all units.

Happy reefing
Jonas Roman

I will tell everyone that reads this that they are taking all of our feedback and using it to make the unit even better than it already is. As with everything in life, when the new iOS app is released and the updated web interface is done, I have no doubt that it will be better and better. The main advantage that I am aware of with the web interface is that you will have more control over the Alkatronic through the interface (i.e. manage settings, etc.) You can set everything up through the app so not a huge deal. The web interface management will be beneficial to those that travel a lot and my need to make a change to the unit based on the measurements (maybe like adjusting the desired range, etc).

5 channel dosing pump is going to be nuts!! I'll be able to have mag, cal, and 3 other channels for whatever I want (I use Red Sea). Which brings me to another idea @JonasRoman (for future enhancement of Dosetronic if not already planned for initial release).

What if you guys put in an algorithm for dosing Red Sea and other manufacturers supplements? I know that Red Sea mentions that you could use calcium consumption to determine the amount of trace elements to add. Even if you guys have a specific manufacturer that your unit will work with I'd personally switch over to them if necessary. I know this is a tall order and will require lots of testing, but just a thought :D

OP
OP
mitch91175

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With what I mentioned above, I would immediately switch my unit to measure every 2 hours. I won't use the Kalk stirrer and Vertex dosing anymore at the point so I can use the Alkatronic/Dosetronic combo for all my supplemental dosing needs.

Not a big deal if that isn't planned, just a thought. My goal is to one day go no water change and this will definitely help get there.

JonasRoman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will tell everyone that reads this that they are taking all of our feedback and using it to make the unit even better than it already is. As with everything in life, when the new iOS app is released and the updated web interface is done, I have no doubt that it will be better and better. The main advantage that I am aware of with the web interface is that you will have more control over the Alkatronic through the interface (i.e. manage settings, etc.) You can set everything up through the app so not a huge deal. The web interface management will be beneficial to those that travel a lot and my need to make a change to the unit based on the measurements (maybe like adjusting the desired range, etc).

5 channel dosing pump is going to be nuts!! I'll be able to have mag, cal, and 3 other channels for whatever I want (I use Red Sea). Which brings me to another idea @JonasRoman (for future enhancement of Dosetronic if not already planned for initial release).

What if you guys put in an algorithm for dosing Red Sea and other manufacturers supplements? I know that Red Sea mentions that you could use calcium consumption to determine the amount of trace elements to add. Even if you guys have a specific manufacturer that your unit will work with I'd personally switch over to them if necessary. I know this is a tall order and will require lots of testing, but just a thought :D
Yes, we have that in our "to do list" to extend the already existing cloud-web-interface, to also reach all the settings we have (action mode , wash out mode, ref value, measure fred, etc )

yes, in some way we have already that in our algorithm for Dosetronic, an auto adjusting Balling-station based on KH consumption from corals. As the other element follow that very nicely. For instance, if KH decrease with 1dKH due to coral growth, Ca is decreased by 7 ppm, etc. So all channels, if you want, can be dependent and autotuned by Alkatronic:)

But more details about that when we have the first prototype to show you. First all focus on batch 2, and get all silent upgrade kits ready for you:)

/Jonas

zzl630

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With what I mentioned above, I would immediately switch my unit to measure every 2 hours. I won't use the Kalk stirrer and Vertex dosing anymore at the point so I can use the Alkatronic/Dosetronic combo for all my supplemental dosing needs.

Not a big deal if that isn't planned, just a thought. My goal is to one day go no water change and this will definitely help get there.
Mitch, Did you look into KH Guardian? The difference is the APP and I guess KH Guardian can't be a doser?

OP
OP
mitch91175

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mitch, Did you look into KH Guardian? The difference is the APP and I guess KH Guardian can't be a doser?

Yeah I did and the Alkatronic to me has a better feature set (app like you mentioned, dosing pump, and online as well). Plus when I checked out the Alkatronic thread and saw @JonasRoman posting as much as he does, made the decision easy for me.

The KH Guardian Pro does dose, but you still do not get the app. They both will send info to an Apex though.

Josh Kraft

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm curious, for the solution you are dosing to keep your KH in balance, is that a CoralVue product as well, or can you use BRS Soda ash?

Josh Kraft

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just BRS Soda ash. You can use any product you choose that you would use manually for dosing alk.

Why don't you use it for controlling your dosage completely? If I were getting this product, I would probably want to do that, is there a reason why people still use another doser and just use this for touch-ups?

OP
OP
mitch91175

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because I already have additional equipment that I can leverage to have a much more efficient system. For instance, since I am dosing kalk (replacing both calcium and alk) I can get the best of both worlds. I know my general system usage so I dose that in kalk. As a fail-safe (an one that could easily replace the alk portion of kalk in the Alkatronic) it measures for me and make any necessary adjustments. Plus I get to compare may alk with other events, like cleaning sand, water changes, etc).

There are a host of configuration that you can do with your system. No one way is right in my book. In your situation, you can 100% have it handle your alk levels for you. Just set the testing interval and have at it. :D

shiftline

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the great review thread..
I'm happy to hear the noise issues are fixed and its almost silent now (makes me happy) I have been eyeing this product for a while now and love where its going.. paird with the future dosetornic it will be the ultimate tester/doser! :D

What all data does it send to apex?

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 85 48.6%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 54 30.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.9%
Back