My new Tank

zoohed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I am new to this board but not new to reefing, I am actually just getting back into it after a tank crash a few months ago. Here is a little bit about my new tank. Ok here are some pics of my new tank I finally got going it is a 3gal pico tank that will eventually be a mixed reef tank but will be mostly Zs Ps and Ric's, I may try a small piece of cap and some LPS of some sort. Lighting is 18w PC filtration is a HOB filter modified into a fuge slash filter there also is a back chamber that is full of LR. Feel free to ask any questions or provide constructive criticism, and now for the pics.

FTS
100_0974.jpg

100_0971.jpg

100_0973.jpg

I-K@ndY

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome you got mail... j/k... looks nice

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yea cool tank. I thought it was like 20+g at first!

jc_reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I too agree with maybe taking out a few rocks, since its such a small tank, you want to save room for all the cool stuff you want to put in there!

OP
OP
Z

zoohed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know I don't think it is that much rock alot of it is branching and the left side is a wall made out of eggcrate its not a real wide tank so I was trying to be able to go up more than front to back, plus there is lots of room for frag plugs. I will leave it the way I have it for now but may take some out as I start to stock. Thanks for the comments though.

Reef Goddess

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
rockin

Yeah, if you're willing to take a little constructive criticism, I'd definately reduce the rock amount. I mean you don't have any corals yet so its not going to matter to you, but once you do you'll see that less rock is better. I actually aquascape other people's tanks as part of my job. I completely reaquascaped a customer's 210. The way you have your rock stacked is really going to limit the amout of surface area on which you can place corals. But it depends on the look you're going for. If you're going to glue a whole bunch of zoos and softies to it all and create a "reef wall" then it could work for you. But if you want to make it look like a mini reef like a lot of nano tank owners then I would check out the galleries of other people on this forum and see how they have their setup to get ideas. You're welcome to ask me questions too if you like.

It's not a nano, but here's the tank I redid.

Before:

juanstankbefore.jpg

After:

juansnow.jpg

juansmiddle.jpg

This was all done with the same rock he had and I actually removed several lbs worth.
A lot of people think that they need more rock than they actually do when starting an aquarium, but you have to remember that if all goes well, your corals will really fill up that empty space.

Cheers,
Morgan

VanHalen

Runnin With The DevilFish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would probably remove at least half of what you have right now. Pick your three largest rocks, put them on the bottom to support the next biggest three and then put 3 or four of your next biggest and call it a day. Just get creative with the largest half of rocks you have now and form some caves, overhangs, etc.

I like the rocks you have though ;) How do you plan to 'seed everything? are any of those pictured 'live' already? It all sorta looks like base-rock to me.

OP
OP
Z

zoohed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so I removed the rock and my diatoms are clearing up so here are some updated pics.

A new FTS.
100_0978.jpg

And a pic of my new zoa frag.
100_0982.jpg

jessp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
also removing some rock will add to the total water volume which will only make things more stable. i would remove the top layer and leave the rest.

Kigs!

zoa santa
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it looks like it's upto a great start...i think you need more frags in there :D

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 51 20.4%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 182 72.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 4.8%
Back