My nitrate dosing experience

rossco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My corals have always looked nice and grown very well, but the colors were always way more pale than I liked. I have always had undetectable nitrates (Salifert) and undetectable phosphates (Hanna) because of my light fish load and light feeding regimen. Finally, my curiosity got the best of me and I decided to try Nitrate dosing. For me the results have been nothing less than spectacular.

My Purple Monster was always the Lavender Monster, Red Robin the Pink Robin - you get the picture. My friends loved the pastel colors but I longed for the deep rich colors I have seen in other tanks.

I am using potassium nitrate sourced as Spectracide Stump remover. To make my stock solution, I knew I wanted to keep day to day measuring to a minimum, so I calculated the amount needed to make a small daily dose.

*Keep in mind these calculations are for my tank, the numbers would need to be adjusted for other volumes. *

My tank is a 210 gallon, I estimated that after rock displacement and adding the sump volume back in, there is around 200 gallons of water. 1 part per million equals 1 mg per liter, therefore in my tank where 200 gallons is approximately 750 liters it would take 750mg of nitrate to make 1 part per million. Each 10 grams of potassium nitrate contains 6.14 grams of nitrate, therefore 81.43 grams of potassium nitrate contains 50 grams of nitrate. Dissolving 81.43 grams of potassium nitrate (containing 50 grams of nitrate) in enough RO/DI water to make 400ml of final volume makes a solution of 50,000mg per 400ml or 125mg/ml. I used my digital reloading scale to get the accurate weight measurement.

I dose 3ml per day to add 0.5ppm, or 375mg of nitrate to my system. I am keeping my nitrate levels between 0.75 and 1ppm.

The day after I started dosing, I had green algae everywhere. I would blow it off with a turkey baster, it came off in sheets, the next day it would be back. It grew on the sand, on the glass near the sand, on every exposed piece of rock, over the top of some of the less aggressive zoas - everywhere except on the SPS and LPS corals themselves. . I assumed that the small amount of phosphate was being consumed and that it would soon pass. After a couple weeks, the maintenance of the nuisance algae was getting better, and now after almost 3 months, there really is none to speak of, and I just noticed the other day when I went to check my chaeto, that it is really struggling and hasn't grown a bit since I last checked it. It might even be a little smaller.

I wish I had taken some before pictures, but here are a few top down pictures after dosing for 2 & 1/2 months.

Wild%20Red%20Milli%20Large_zpsf6mlgeyx.jpg

Red%20Robin%20Large_zpshth3183h.jpg

Arctic%20Berry%20Large_zps3hmvlrdl.jpg

Ora%20Toort%20Large_zpsoce8mlxj.jpg

Purple%20Monster%20Large_zpsk6wjrthz.jpg

Pink%20Lemonade%202%20Large_zpsdd6qfaif.jpg

ATL%20Raspberry%20Lemonade%20Nasuta%20Large_zpst8ubxltq.jpg

Saltwater gardens

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Scott, intresting post, while using the potassium nitrate you only got a more intense coloration on your corals, or did you noticed an increased in your growth rate?

OP
OP
rossco

rossco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Scott, intresting post, while using the potassium nitrate you only got a more intense coloration on your corals, or did you noticed an increased in your growth rate?

Both increased coloration and increased growth. One thing that didn't happen that I was hoping for is the natural (unfortunately) process of branches receding in areas that have lost flow or been shaded due to the colonies becoming much larger. Flow and light still trump nutrients.

Chris Ferrell

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's great, just started using it myself. My montipora are coloring up nicely,waiting for my across now. Great pics!

JBNY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good stuff. I have been dosing KNO3 for about 14 month now and find better coloration and less algae too.

echopiece

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very interesting. Your results look great! I just started dosing my SPS tank with calcium nitrate to see if I can get my NO3 above 0 lol. I've just been dosing small amounts by hand, but would like a more calculated method. Do you think your calculations would be equal to using calcium nitrate? My total system volume is 100 gallons.

OP
OP
rossco

rossco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very interesting. Your results look great! I just started dosing my SPS tank with calcium nitrate to see if I can get my NO3 above 0 lol. I've just been dosing small amounts by hand, but would like a more calculated method. Do you think your calculations would be equal to using calcium nitrate? My total system volume is 100 gallons.

Thanks! The calculations wouldn't be the same as there is 2 Nitrate groups per Calcium in Calcium Nitrate. Calcium Nitrate is also hygroscopic, which means it absorbs moisture from the air. That can mess with your calculations.

JBNY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If using Calcium Nitrate you need a lot more to raise NO3. Assuming the Calcium Nitrate is kept dry, to make the equivalent solution that rossco is using, you need to mix 124 grams of Calcium Nitrate into 400ml. Using that solution 3ml into 750 liters will raise NO3 by .5ppm or 1ml will raise 100L 1.2ppm.

I think that is right.

Last edited:

echopiece

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If using Calcium Nitrate you need a lot more to raise NO3. Assuming the Calcium Nitrate is kept dry, to make the equivalent solution that rossco is using, you need to mix 196.9 grams of Calcium Nitrate into 400ml. Using that solution 3ml into 750 liters will raise NO3 by .5ppm or 1ml will raise 100L 1.2ppm.

I think that is right.
Great thanks! I am not sure at how dry it is? It's been in a Tupperware container for 6 months or so.

JBNY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're welcome. I just mention it being dry because rossco brought up that is could absorb moisture. I am just assuming that your is fine and has not, which is probably the case.

kimba

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I first got into this hobby about 11 years ago you wanted your amonia, nitrates and nitrites to be 0. Now I'm hearing so much on dosing nitrates, kinda funny. I just returned a pulsing xenia to LFS, my nitrates are 0 and they like nitrates. It started getting smaller.

I only have a 12 gal tank so I'm not sure I want to chance dosing. Your coral look amazing!

JBNY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I updated the amount I had given to be 124 grams. I had the wrong amount, thanks to rossco for helping me to the correct amount.

OP
OP
rossco

rossco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got an interesting update. As I mentioned above, my chaeto was getting smaller. Well, it's gone now, and due to its disappearance, overall nitrate utilization of the system also decreased. While I continued to dose as normal, my nitrates crept up slowly to 8.

Water changes brought it back down, and now I will be testing daily until I'm sure I have the new dose dialed in, then bi-weekly thereafter.

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most all errors in no3 dosing I have seen is overdosing.
No3 uptake is a lot less than people think and the uptake changes day by day.

Viner87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most all errors in no3 dosing I have seen is overdosing.
No3 uptake is a lot less than people think and the uptake changes day by day.
Completely agree - [emoji1305] explanation!! I try to keep my nitrates between 2-5. This sometimes means no dosing for days and then occasionally I'll need to dose 2-3 times a day.

No3 consumption varies like crazy, so auto dosing doesn't work - I find the key is just to add little and often only when it's needed. Flourish Nitrogen works a treat for me! No algae problems thus far - 2months in and mega colours and growth.

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Completely agree - [emoji1305] explanation!! I try to keep my nitrates between 2-5. This sometimes means no dosing for days and then occasionally I'll need to dose 2-3 times a day.

No3 consumption varies like crazy, so auto dosing doesn't work - I find the key is just to add little and often only when it's needed. Flourish Nitrogen works a treat for me! No algae problems thus far - 2months in and mega colours and growth.
You are absolutely on the right track!

Viner87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check this growth and colour out...don't get me wrong this isn't a months growth (more like 3), but previously I was over feeding to maintain 2.5 nitrates (I wouldn't recommend this though - dosing flourish nitrogen is much easier with way less side effects).
Before (7th December)
8b785572a6d6725aadc9562a9af62b6f.jpg

After
28d1c2fed58682e0b0f8919884a3f2f8.jpg

Before (26th Jan)
2b793ebf37431667d48d4414aff65721.jpg

After
f5e158f9ac8deaaa467330331350b396.jpg

JBNY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

For me, I found the N consumption has been pretty constant. I have been using a doser for about 15 months. The amount varies a little, about every 4-6 months I have to up the amount of N I am using or lower it, depending on testing.

cd91-41db-0e71-7f43.jpg

5375-e966-2ba4-d635.jpg

c858-85ff-6ce3-2386.jpg

TX_Punisher

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just started myself. Looking forward to seeing what results. Yours look stellar.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 7.9%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 171 67.6%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back