My RapidLed Aurora Puck build

cryptics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have decided to upgrade my 45g deep blue tank (48x18x12) from T5's to LEDs. I have decided to use the RapidLED Dual Aurora Puck Kit (Dimmable) Dual Aurora Puck Kit (Dimmable) - Rapid LED I am getting the APEX hookup cables with the "D" drivers. I also went with the two 6''x10'' heatsinks instead of the one 6''x20''. I did this because I can easily position one with a single puck on each side of the center brace. I also went with the wide angle optics because the tank is only 12'' deep and I have to mount these under a canopy. I have 7'' from the top of the canopy to the water level.

About the tank:

The plan for this tank is SPS and Clams. It also has a Merten Carpet Anemone and a Bubbletip Anemone. I have a few SPS frags right now but not much. I have a Red Sea Maxima Clam (5-6'') and a Dersa Clam (4-5''). Both Anemones are also in the tank already. My main reason for switching to LED's is that the 4 bulb T5 retro wasn't generating enough light for the clams. I had to add a small LED strip directly over the clams to meet their needs. My tanks are also in my office in the basement and heat is an issue.
I actually have a 90g and the 45g plumbed into the same 30g sump right now. The plan is to also convert the 90g but I am using the 45g as a test bed first. I picked up a RS-200 sump to replace the 30g sump and a Jaebo dc9000 to run everything instead of the litany of pumps I have in there now. That should also help with heat a lot. I run an ARIID reactor, a reactor with carbon and a Avast Marine CS1 skimmer.

The reason I am writing this up is when I was researching the Aurora puck I couldn't find any build threads with someones experience. I figured this may help the next person researching them.

Here is the description of the kit from the RapidLED site

For full spectrum color lovers this is the ideal kit! You'll get 4 channels of control and 7 colors of LEDs! All LEDs are from our regular stock and each puck contains 4 XP-G cool white, 4 XT-E royal blue, 4 XP-E blue, 4 Violet UV, 2 XP-E Green, 2 XP-E Red, and 1 XP-E Red-Orange.

Channels are arranged as follows:
Channel 1 (1000mA max) - 4 royal blue + 3 blue
Channel 2 (700mA max) - 2 green + 1 blue + 2 red + 1 red-orange
Channel 3 (1500mA max) - 4 cool white
Channel 4 (700mA max) - 4 Violet UV

This solderless kit comes with:

Now I am in no way a DIY guy but the setup looks very easy so I am trying it. Please chime in with any suggestions. Here are a few things I would like to pose to the experts here.

1. I have to have a canopy on my tanks because I have cats. I was planning on mounting this by instead of using the hanging kit get four long screws and attach them to the heatsink like the hanging kit attaches. then put a nut down to secure the heatsink in place. I was then going to drill holes through the canopy put another nut onto the middle of the screws. Then feed the screws through the canopy and secure them with a nut on the outside. Then take the nut I just screwed into the middle of the canopy and fasten it to the inside top of the canopy. My question is it ok like that with heat transference or should I see if I can drill a whole through the canopy for the fan and secure mesh on the outside? I am not sure I can even do this because of structural integrity of the canopy but if I can is it a much better idea? It also makes me nervous because I am not a DIY guy and I am not sure how well that hole will come out :)
  2. The LED's have four channels right now
    Channels are arranged as follows: Channel 1 (1000mA max) - 4 royal blue + 3 blue
    Channel 2 (700mA max) - 2 green + 1 blue + 2 red + 1 red-orange
    Channel 3 (1500mA max) - 4 cool white
    Channel 4 (700mA max) - 4 Violet UV
    What percentages would you start out with for each channel? I was thinking 50% max on channel 1 and 30% max on channel 3 but I have no idea what to do with channel 2 and 4. I was thinking of ramping up 5% every two weeks. Does that sound right? What should be my end goal percentage?

I ordered the kit on Monday and it says that it will be at my house today :) I will take unboxing photos and such and would appreciate any tips or help along the way.

OP
OP
C

cryptics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I received everything today. Here is some photos of the items

Fans and misc pieces
7435177D-E8DA-408E-A73B-4AD2865262F4_zps6yq2xbg0.jpg

Drivers
E283F21C-136B-4C46-8E53-BE09DE46BB88_zpshgyztpyo.jpg

Heatsinks and splash guard
51EC5724-25D1-44C6-9124-56F7D7BD8035_zpsn1nf9nqx.jpg

LED's
10200582-8D56-4BB1-9402-C016357FA408_zpsqvjqen8y.jpg

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 29 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 132 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 7.0%
Back