My Red Sea Reefer 425 XL V3

Stephen Richards

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First and foremost hello all. this is my first post!!! yay.. Sooo yea.... i'm new to reefing in the sensen that i just got my fist tank but i've been researching this for a while (like 6 hours of research a day for the past 4 months more on my days off ) i've done freshwater my who life. but no actual experience with saltwater so i'm open to all those with experience.
I bought the Red Sea Reefer 425 XL Version 3 sump so as most of you already know the water came from one side and the return pump chamber was on the other side. the new version incorporates a built in refugium (was so stoked about this as to where i wanted to keep the ATO reservoir as a ATO and didn't want to convert it into a refugium but a refugium for me was a must) also incorporates 4 media filters 2 cups and 2 socks, so the problem is i have to rethink how to hard plumbing because i was going to run a manifold and still very much want to but now with the return pump on the same side i wanted something like
basic build.jpg
or something like
2ed basic build.jpg
but new design
REEFER-XXL-Peninsula-composition-for-website.jpg

basic build.jpg
2ed basic build.jpg
REEFER-XXL-Peninsula-composition-for-website.jpg
20180919_211334.jpg
20180919_211350.jpg
20180920_153518.jpg
20180920_153527.jpg
20180920_153531.jpg
20180920_153536.jpg
20180920_153547.jpg
20180920_153552.jpg
20180920_153600.jpg
reefer 425X.jpg

let me know what you think?

NewbReefer3451

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi - what did you end up doing? I'm screwed - I drew up my entire manifold build off of the v2 sump and didnt realize the return pump was on the other side now. I spent a lot of $$$ on parts and have no clue what to do.

OP
OP
Stephen Richards

Stephen Richards

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi - what did you end up doing? I'm screwed - I drew up my entire manifold build off of the v2 sump and didnt realize the return pump was on the other side now. I spent a lot of $$$ on parts and have no clue what to do.
Hey to be honest I had the same problem. But I haven't figured out what to do I decided to buy the rest of my equipment while I brain storm the problem. My current idea is to turn the sump around and run everything across the top of the sump giving me room to run my manifold but I haven't seen if it would work yet still waiting on it to see if other people figured it out

NewbReefer3451

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey to be honest I had the same problem. But I haven't figured out what to do I decided to buy the rest of my equipment while I brain storm the problem. My current idea is to turn the sump around and run everything across the top of the sump giving me room to run my manifold but I haven't seen if it would work yet still waiting on it to see if other people figured it out
Thanks for the response. This is really frustrating having spent so much time, effort and $$$ putting this build together. I purchased most of the stuff (including all the plumbing pieces) over the last 8 months and haven't actively been following the changes. I bought the tank and stand last week online which was the final piece of the puzzle, the description didn't really seem any different to me and wasn't made clear there's a new v3. Of course I set up the stand and everything before looking at the sump and plumbing and noticing the issue. *sigh* I don't even feel like setting up a tank anymore after this experience, total buzz kill - I guess it's my own fault for not looking at the sump update. I tried contacting Red Sea to see if they have any ideas - going to try BRS on Monday. Let me know if you come across any ideas/find any pictures of manifold builds. Thanks and good luck!

Last edited:

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 7.9%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 171 67.6%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back