My RFA Disappeared

ClearwaterReeferNoob

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Peppermint shrimp seem to have been bothering my RFA. I thought I finally got him in a good spot, imo obviously not his/hers, and this morning it's gone. I can't find it anywhere. The spot I moved it to is where my Cleaner Shrimp hangs out at during the night and it won't let the peppermint shrimp near it, it chases them away. Is it common for RFA's to just disappear into the rock work? Such a beautiful creature, it's a shame that it has decided to hide some where in the tank. I just hope it didn't become shrimp food.

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
RFA can really shrink down, I also have expected some to just melt when added to the tank, not sure if it’s damage when they were collected or what exactly but around 10% or so of ones I have gotten don’t make it. I have around 120 rock nems in my 100.3 and a dozen peppermint shrimp although I only see 1 or 2 shrimp at any one time. Sounds like peps are hit and miss but I have lots of babies rfa too. Just my experience.

NashobaTek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine has done this before and I just keep a eye on where it was and sure enough it's still there and back out to it's usual size

Kris 2020

Super Active Excellent Well Known Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will just wait and see if he comes back. I've looked all over in the tank, but I'm not going to disturb my scape looking for him.
That’s your best bet, odds are it will turn up. Maybe not in a spot you want it but better than nothing! So I bought some pvc endcaps, like 3/4-1-1/2 inch size, and had my hubs cut them back so they r just a shallow concave thing. And when I get a new rock nem, I put it in there with it’s foot facing the open side, and put it in the tank on the rock where I’d like him to live. Then the next morning I take the cap off, and I’ve done this with like 5 rfa, and sure enough they’ve planted their foot where I want them. Doesn’t mean they will stay there, but it’s a good start and keeps them from blowing around initially.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back