feegus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Guys,

TLDR: I would like help with stocking.

Should I rearrange my rock work to stop aggression when adding new fish.

Ways to get fish to eat in qt

Would these fish be good to add: any points of importance to know.

This is my first time creating a post so I hope its in the right spot (sorry if its not)

In November I upgraded my tank to a Red Sea MaxS 650L (170gallons), from a 75 gallon tank. LxWxH 160cm x 70cm x 64cm + sump.

It has been doing pretty great. I bought it second hand and am really enjoying the extra space and more powerful lighting it has. I'm looking for some advice for stocking numbers and amounts of different fish - I don't really have any idea what is considered acceptable or normal. My current fish are all getting along really well at the moment, although previously (before moving tanks) some of them were not very nice to new additions. But after moving around the rock they seemingly forgot about each other. I'd like to think my tank is disease free as I have qt and treated all these fish before. There are a few fish that I have been saving up for recently and I was hoping for your opinions on whether they would be a good fit / my tank could hold them.

I do a 50% water change every two or three (less likely) weeks, depending on if I am busy that week or not.

The tank is mainly stocked with LPS corals, a few softies and 3 small SPS colonies (acros and monti). No fish have eaten or looked at them and they seem to be doing pretty well.

I dose daily:

NOPOX (which really helps keep my nitrates down, usually at the 0.25 or lower mark)

Red Sea KH, Calcium and a little Magnesium

Quantum Bio Enhance (amino acids for coral)

Red Sea Coral Nutrition A and B

Typically I feed them in a day: 2-3 Frozen Spirulina and Garlic Brine Shrimp cubes, 1-2 Mysis Shrimp, a Nori Seaweed square, and three times a week a mussel.

Most of my fish are still juveniles and are pretty small.

I'm hoping to "max" out my tank this year. I imagine with these additions the tank would be too full to try any other fish later on. These fish are some of my favourites and I really love, but my LFS never has them in stock. I have done some research around these fish and understand some may be hard to get eating, so I was also hoping for some advice about getting them to eat in QT and what people have tried in the past. Which fish would you pass with here, which would probably do well and which require special care?

Regal Angelfish / Pygoplites diacanthus

Copperband Butterfly / Chelmon rostratus

Redtail Tamarin Wrasse / Anampses chrysocephalus

China Wrasse / Anampses neoguinaicus

Desjardini Sailfin Tang / Zebrasoma desjardinii

Flame Angelfish / Centropyge loricula

Moorish Idol / Zanclus cornutus - probably wont happen but wanting opinion please

Emperor Angelfish/ Pomacanthus imperator - probably wont happen but was hoping to hear if for experience regarding if they eat corals or not.

I'm happy to alter feeding and make specific changes if its needed. Also do you guys think I should rearage my rock to try stop aggression - I recently redid the rock and am happy with it.

Please don't hate on me if I'm crazy off on this one, I'm just trying to learn and understand. Thanks for reading this far, below is my current stock. Think of this as a kind of Christmas Wishlist, I welcome any criticism and advice - thank you.

Current Stocking

Orange Shoulder Tang / Acanthurus olivaceus (x1) - still in its yellow juvenile colours.

Purple Tang / Zebrasoma xanthurum (x1) - latest addition so I'm not sure how it will react to any new fish

Blue Hippo Tang / Paracanthurus hepatus (x1)

Powder Blue Tang / Acanthurus leucosternon (x1) - he was very very mean to the purple tang when it first went in. I had to pull the powder blue out and put him into qt for a week.

Melanurus Wrasse / Halichoeres melanurus (x1)

Canary Wrasse / Halichoeres chrysus (x1) - I'm not sure if it's a canary or a banana wrasse, it share traits of both. It has the black dots of the canary but green stripes of banana.

Leopard Wrasse / Macropharyngodon Meleagri (x1) - female

Choati Leopard Wrasse / Macropharyngodon Choati (x1) - this got picked on by the other wrasse alot in the beginning.

BiColour Angelfish / Centropyge bicolor (x1)

Anthias / Pseudanthias Hypselosoma (x2) - I found it hard to find exactly which species it is, it looks like the photos - red tipped tails and pinky orange bodies.

Ocellaris Clownfish / Amphiprion ocellaris (x2)

Orchid Dottyback / Pseudochromis fridmani (x1)

Yellow Belly Damselfish / Pomacentrus auriventris (x1)

Blue Green Chromis / Chromis viridis (x2)

Banggai Cardinal / Pterapogon kauderni (x1)

Red Spot Blenny / Blenniella chrysospilos (x1)

Last edited:
OP
OP
F

feegus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Guys,

TLDR: I would like help with stocking.

Should I rearrange my rock work to stop aggression when adding new fish.

Ways to get fish to eat in qt

Would these fish be good to add: any points of importance to know.

This is my first time creating a post so I hope its in the right spot (sorry if its not)

In November I upgraded my tank to a Red Sea MaxS 650L (170gallons), from a 75 gallon tank. LxWxH 160cm x 70cm x 64cm + sump.

It has been doing pretty great. I bought it second hand and am really enjoying the extra space and more powerful lighting it has. I'm looking for some advice for stocking numbers and amounts of different fish - I don't really have any idea what is considered acceptable or normal. My current fish are all getting along really well at the moment, although previously (before moving tanks) some of them were not very nice to new additions. But after moving around the rock they seemingly forgot about each other. I'd like to think my tank is disease free as I have qt and treated all these fish before. There are a few fish that I have been saving up for recently and I was hoping for your opinions on whether they would be a good fit / my tank could hold them.

I do a 50% water change every two or three (less likely) weeks, depending on if I am busy that week or not.

The tank is mainly stocked with LPS corals, a few softies and 3 small SPS colonies (acros and monti). No fish have eaten or looked at them and they seem to be doing pretty well.

I dose daily:

NOPOX (which really helps keep my nitrates down, usually at the 0.25 or lower mark)

Red Sea KH, Calcium and a little Magnesium

Quantum Bio Enhance (amino acids for coral)

Red Sea Coral Nutrition A and B

Typically I feed them in a day: 2-3 Frozen Spirulina and Garlic Brine Shrimp cubes, 1-2 Mysis Shrimp, a Nori Seaweed square, and three times a week a mussel.

Most of my fish are still juveniles and are pretty small.

I'm hoping to "max" out my tank this year. I imagine with these additions the tank would be too full to try any other fish later on. These fish are some of my favourites and I really love, but my LFS never has them in stock. I have done some research around these fish and understand some may be hard to get eating, so I was also hoping for some advice about getting them to eat in QT and what people have tried in the past. Which fish would you pass with here, which would probably do well and which require special care?

Regal Angelfish / Pygoplites diacanthus

Copperband Butterfly / Chelmon rostratus

Redtail Tamarin Wrasse / Anampses chrysocephalus

China Wrasse / Anampses neoguinaicus

Desjardini Sailfin Tang / Zebrasoma desjardinii

Flame Angelfish / Centropyge loricula

Moorish Idol / Zanclus cornutus - probably wont happen but wanting opinion please

Emperor Angelfish/ Pomacanthus imperator - probably wont happen but was hoping to hear if for experience regarding if they eat corals or not.

I'm happy to alter feeding and make specific changes if its needed. Also do you guys think I should rearage my rock to try stop aggression - I recently redid the rock and am happy with it.

Please don't hate on me if I'm crazy off on this one, I'm just trying to learn and understand. Thanks for reading this far, below is my current stock. Think of this as a kind of Christmas Wishlist, I welcome any criticism and advice - thank you.

Current Stocking

Orange Shoulder Tang / Acanthurus olivaceus (x1) - still in its yellow juvenile colours.

Purple Tang / Zebrasoma xanthurum (x1) - latest addition so I'm not sure how it will react to any new fish

Blue Hippo Tang / Paracanthurus hepatus (x1)

Powder Blue Tang / Acanthurus leucosternon (x1) - he was very very mean to the purple tang when it first went in. I had to pull the powder blue out and put him into qt for a week.

Melanurus Wrasse / Halichoeres melanurus (x1)

Canary Wrasse / Halichoeres chrysus (x1) - I'm not sure if it's a canary or a banana wrasse, it share traits of both. It has the black dots of the canary but green stripes of banana.

Leopard Wrasse / Macropharyngodon Meleagri (x1) - female

Choati Leopard Wrasse / Macropharyngodon Choati (x1) - this got picked on by the other wrasse alot in the beginning.

BiColour Angelfish / Centropyge bicolor (x1)

Anthias / Pseudanthias Hypselosoma (x2) - I found it hard to find exactly which species it is, it looks like the photos - red tipped tails and pinky orange bodies.

Ocellaris Clownfish / Amphiprion ocellaris (x2)

Orchid Dottyback / Pseudochromis fridmani (x1)

Yellow Belly Damselfish / Pomacentrus auriventris (x1)

Blue Green Chromis / Chromis viridis (x2)

Banggai Cardinal / Pterapogon kauderni (x1)

Red Spot Blenny / Blenniella chrysospilos (x1)

bump

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back