My very first ich outbreak!! Yay?

Rickybobby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Qt qt qt and qt. If I get a snail it’s not allowed in the main display for 3 months. Lessons learned

Rickybobby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea one thing I did was fill my tank full of corals abs inverts and from that point went fallow but this is an addicting hobby and we always want more so I ended up with another separate coral qt tank. It only takes one invert to ruin everything

OP
OP
Sharkbait19

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea one thing I did was fill my tank full of corals abs inverts and from that point went fallow but this is an addicting hobby and we always want more so I ended up with another separate coral qt tank. It only takes one invert to ruin everything
Would buying coral from a fishless frag tank on a different sump technically be safe?

Rickybobby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably safe but always good to qt. You never know. After I lost all my fish and a ton of money I vowed to never put them through that again. Plus a little qt frag tank is fun

phatduckk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At the end of the day I’d go fallow for 76 days. Brook and velvet will die off in 6 weeks. Ich in 76 days.

in the mean time buy some cool inverts and coral to give you some fun. Once the last thing is added start the 76 day timer.

Besides that either QT your fish or buy them pre-qt’d. There’s a bunch of vendors that have legit QT protocols. Usually they have about a 4 week timeframe so you can start putting in your order in about 5 weeks.

phatduckk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would advise to qurantine Corals and inverts too. Ich can come along on them.

yup! but... the gist there is you essentially need them in a fishless tank for 76 days to break the ich lifecycle (longest of the parasites that a fallow period works for). I was saying - if you pack your fishes DT with coral today - then in 76 days you can add QT'd fish w/o much worry.

TL;DR turn this tank into a coral QT for 76 day so its not a boring box. on day 77 add QT'd fish

OP
OP
Sharkbait19

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yup! but... the gist there is you essentially need them in a fishless tank for 76 days to break the ich lifecycle (longest of the parasites that a fallow period works for). I was saying - if you pack your fishes DT with coral today - then in 76 days you can add QT'd fish w/o much worry.

TL;DR turn this tank into a coral QT for 76 day so its not a boring box. on day 77 add QT'd fish
For any new fish past the fallow period -- 76 day QT like coral and inverts or just enough time to medicate and observe??

phatduckk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For any new fish past the fallow period -- 76 day QT like coral and inverts or just enough time to medicate and observe??

personally I buy all my fish pre-QT’d from @Dr. Reef. I don’t really buy into observational QT (to each their own) and don’t think I’d do as good a job of QT as someone with tons of experience.

http://fishotel.com/ https://quarantinedmarine.com/ and https://oceandevotionla.com/ are rad as well.

if I was you I’d place an order with one of them at around day 45 or so. By the time you hit 76 days the fish should be nearly ready for you

Alaeriel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tons of info on how to QT! Observe as you ramp copper up to therapeutic level, keep testing to make sure that the 30 days at that level of copper are actually staying that high (30 days restarts if the level becomes too low, even if only for a short time), cuprisorb/water change/carbon the tank after the 30 days of therapeutic copper. Prazipro for 14 days after the copper has been removed for internal parasites. (Some say Prazi can be done at the same time, I prefer to use it after so you get two weeks of observation to check for more spots.)
My QT is a cheap-o 10 gallon from Walmart. <$20 HoB filter, ammonia badge, Bio-Spira, lid to keep firefish in, PVC tubes for hides.
This is the method I'm following and the information was given to me directly by HumbleFish and Jay Hemdal, so I trust the experts. Good luck with your QT and fallow!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 23 29.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 38.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 25.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back