Mysis vs Brine

mtfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get my frozen food from Jehmco.com. I like their frozen pacific krill. They pack in less water so more food for the weight. My thoughts are that since it is from the ocean that the ratio of nutrients are a better match for saltwater fish. Have nothing to back that up, but that's my story and I am sticking to it!

Dch48

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've often read and heard that Brine Shrimp is more like "candy" with little nutrition for our fish. Mysis shrimp are supposed to be much better.

After looking at the nutrition label on the Mysis and Brine shrimp I just bought, I'm a bit confused.
Frankly, there's virtually no difference in nutritional value:
  • Brine = 4.0% crude protein
  • Mysis = 4.2% crude protein
All other analysis is just as similar.

So, if Brine is a poor nutritional food -- I can't see Mysis being that much better.

Any suggestions on a more robust food for my fish? I'm feeding 2 clowns, 3 cardinals, 1 royal gramma, and 1 coral beauty. All are relatively small and large size foods don't work well for them.
Look at the last item, 92% moisture. That's the water they are frozen in. Take that away and you have 3.7 out of 8 or 46.25% which I think is a much more accurate number.

JayinToronto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
7AF5E092-ACD2-41CA-AE28-9B988E7B8D89.jpeg
What kind of Mysis is only 4.2%

Besides the nutritional information just look at a defrosted Mysis vs brine. Besides the size difference the quality difference is apparent. They are so much meatier and with pe many defrost hole with eyes in tact etc.

This being said I will still occasionally feed brine but even Mysis I don’t feed even a fraction as much as I used to. These complete foods like LRS and Rods Food offer so much in one packet. It’s hard to do better then them.
Basically all of them. What you’re seeing there is dry weight. Whole weight analysis is mostly water (>90%).

jmwskifish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve always heard the same as you.... choose mysis over brine. Also like you, I’ve looked into the nutritional differences and there doesn’t seem to be any. Perhaps the type of protein is the key. I used to feed nothing but mysis. Now I use a pellet or flake every few days instead of the shrimp. My understanding is that manufactured foods offer a more complete diet. Not only do you not need to feed as much but it’s cheaper in the long run. And I don’t think it really matters a lot which brand you use as long as you switch it up regularly. So, I’ll feed mysis for a few days, flakes for a day or so, maybe some pellets for a day. Fish eggs and clams are good choices too. The only thing that I consistently feed is nori on a clip. If I don’t, my tangs will fill up on meaty foods and dont get the veggies they need.

chris510

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tanks is only 40 gallon and my fish are about 1-2inches. Is Mysis too big for them to eat? My long nose hawkfish is not eating the brine. Hopefully mysis is better?

What type of seaweed do you all use for feeding? Tha ks

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 37.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back