Mysis - what else is in this?

BubblesandSqueak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious...for frozen foods like Mysis, Brine as well as other seaweed and frozen plankton foods....I'm assuming this is scooped out then flash frozen etc....what are the outlooks for pests and diseases introduced to your own tank from any spores etc...that could have been frozen in residual water?

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious...for frozen foods like Mysis, Brine as well as other seaweed and frozen plankton foods....I'm assuming this is scooped out then flash frozen etc....what are the outlooks for pests and diseases introduced to your own tank from any spores etc...that could have been frozen in residual water?
Have not come across any instances of pests or disease, but then again, why would anyone link an aquarium problem with frozen food. Great question.

OP
OP
BubblesandSqueak

BubblesandSqueak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have not come across any instances of pests or disease, but then again, why would anyone link an aquarium problem with frozen food. Great question.
Yeah…I’m assuming there must be issues that never get reported. But just simple things like “where did these hydroids” come from in a rank that everything was quarantined in. All it takes is one little spore.

Formulator

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think most of the good brands are sterilized and formulated with vitamins/stabilizers. Not just scooped out of the sea and frozen. Hikari even claims free from parasites and unwanted bacteria on the label.

Attachments

• IMG_3806.jpeg
    IMG_3806.jpeg
    124.8 KB · Views: 6

Nano_Man

Anemone L
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Freezing most things kills off bacteria
Any pests would be killed from freezing
Or am I wrong someone maybe has different information

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you got more information on it. Please

I did not know this either. Apparantly it makes disease and bacteria dormant but didn’t kill them. Pests - yes it should kill that. But not microbes

Nano_Man

Anemone L
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You freeze it to save it long term.
I stand corrected read this every day is a learning day lol
It is important to remember that freezing food does not kill some harmful bacteria in food. Bacterial growth can be 'paused' at these low temperatures but then can start to grow again at higher temperatures.

OP
OP
BubblesandSqueak

BubblesandSqueak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did not know this either. Apparantly it makes disease and bacteria dormant but didn’t kill them. Pests - yes it should kill that. But not microbes

It was part of my job to freeze and save. Adding a little DMSO as well

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Freezing foods does not kill foreign substances in many cases but been using my food types for many years without issues. I find most frozen packaged foods to be clean minus the liquids contained in them

DED65

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PE Mysis is actually a freshwater species. What effect the saltwater has on any bacteria or viruses to thrive, I do not know. I do believe that any bacteria or virus in the frozen food would help our fishes keep their immune systems healthy, unless you got food that was contaminated.

Formulator

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think most frozen fish food is flash frozen. The temperatures used to do this are cold enough to kill anything including bacteria.
You might think this, but it is not the case. Flash freezing can actually act to preserve bacteria and other cells by ensuring uniform feezing and preventing osmotic stress across cellular membranes. Slow freezing rates and freezing at higher temperatures above or near the glass transition temperature of biological fluids is much more stressful to bacteria and other cells. We use flash freezing at ultralow temperatures in the pharmaceutical industry to preserve living cells used in research and biologic drug manufacturing.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 51 20.4%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 182 72.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 4.8%
Back