Mysterious Fish Deaths

shadynate

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello. I have a newly set up tank and started with a filefish. He was doing well for about a month and then we added two clownfish. The tank is 26 gallons. The filefish mysteriously disappeared. Mind you the ammonia and nitrite had been zero before we put the fish in. Two days later one of the clownfish disappeared. The next night the second clownfish died. My dad saw it in the tank as it was dying. It was chopped up a bit by the powerhead. I noticed it looked a bit sickly the day before it died with some white fleshy substance on its mouth.

I am assuming they all died from disease. It just seems odd to me they died back to back. What are some possible illnesses they died from? And what should I do about the tank? Do I need to take it all down and restart? Or is there a treatment I can add to the water. I am not too sure what the next step is...

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is in the tank, animal wise, now?
Jay

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Hello. I have a newly set up tank and started with a filefish. He was doing well for about a month and then we added two clownfish. The tank is 26 gallons. The filefish mysteriously disappeared. Mind you the ammonia and nitrite had been zero before we put the fish in. Two days later one of the clownfish disappeared. The next night the second clownfish died. My dad saw it in the tank as it was dying. It was chopped up a bit by the powerhead. I noticed it looked a bit sickly the day before it died with some white fleshy substance on its mouth.

I am assuming they all died from disease. It just seems odd to me they died back to back. What are some possible illnesses they died from? And what should I do about the tank? Do I need to take it all down and restart? Or is there a treatment I can add to the water. I am not too sure what the next step is...
Did you cycle tank and how and for how long?
Did you acclimate fish to the tank and again how and for how long ?
You stated ammonia and nitrite were zero. How about nitrate and what kit did you test with?
Dont concern yourself with nitrite Unless sky high above 100. with nitrite test I assume you have API test kit?

ANY PICS OF YOUR TANK UNDER WHITE LIGHTING ?

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With no livestock left, good opportunity to go fallow to rid any parasite if you think that’s a possibility.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would let the tank run empty for 14 days, and then start adding a few hardy invertebrates. I wouldn't add any fish for a full 60 days, and if you can, buy pre quarantined fish.

For the first 14 days, you can "ghost feed" the tank - just add a tiny pinch of food every other day to keep the bacteria humming along.

Jay

OP
OP
S

shadynate

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome thank you. Is there a treatment product I should add to the tank to rid it of any parasites/disease? Or just wait 60 days and let it run its course

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome thank you. Is there a treatment product I should add to the tank to rid it of any parasites/disease? Or just wait 60 days and let it run its course
If you plan on keeping invertebrates in the tank it is best to not use any drugs, just wait for the parasites to die out.
Jay

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Besides QT fish, buying directly from the breeders should limit disease and is generally a safe choice. So say a filefish and pair of clowns from biotas website for example (after no fish for x amount of days).

grr410

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had a GHA outbreak starting if you can, and you should because I don’t think you mentioned having corals in the tank, turn off the lights. Algae cannot survive without light. This is what I did and it worked great for me.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 124 42.5%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 101 34.6%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 47 16.1%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 15 5.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.7%
Back