Mystery algae (?)--pinkish stringy gooey stuff

hobie61

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I'm been dealing with a pinkish mystery algae or life form the past month and seeking advice what it may be (or from). I have a 35 gal AIO mixed reef tank, with decent fish load, that is 2+ years old. I do regular weekly maintenance and a 10% water change. Finally rid of GHA and SPS were starting to take off, as well as a clam was growing. Parameters semi-stable. Dose AFR, kalc, and small amount of nopox. Usually have high phosphates. Feed pellets. Frozen foods once a week.

From advice, I started adding Reef Nutrition Brine Shrimp and Artic Pods about a month and half ago in small quantities. Fish enjoyed them, as well as the cleanup crew. Then started noticing a pink gooey stringy substance when cleaning the filters and pumps. Further noticed the protein skimmer nozzles were plugged with the stuff. Then noticed a great deal of GHA appearing around the corals and other spots. Besides the pump inlets (plugging them up), the stuff sticks to pipes, elbows, or anywhere there is flow. Have to really scrub with a toothbrush and rinse to rid of it. I'm on my 4th cleaning. Seems to keep growing (very frustrating). Stopped using the Reef Nutrition products to see if it may go away a couple weeks ago. I've done several larger water changes to help the situation, as well as gha scrubbing/removal. Any advice what it may be? Pic is of the stuff that came out of short hose in my white kitchen sink last night. Pardon the blurriness.

Thanks for your time and advice.

20240421_210039.jpg

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I'm been dealing with a pinkish mystery algae or life form the past month and seeking advice what it may be (or from). I have a 35 gal AIO mixed reef tank, with decent fish load, that is 2+ years old. I do regular weekly maintenance and a 10% water change. Finally rid of GHA and SPS were starting to take off, as well as a clam was growing. Parameters semi-stable. Dose AFR, kalc, and small amount of nopox. Usually have high phosphates. Feed pellets. Frozen foods once a week.

From advice, I started adding Reef Nutrition Brine Shrimp and Artic Pods about a month and half ago in small quantities. Fish enjoyed them, as well as the cleanup crew. Then started noticing a pink gooey stringy substance when cleaning the filters and pumps. Further noticed the protein skimmer nozzles were plugged with the stuff. Then noticed a great deal of GHA appearing around the corals and other spots. Besides the pump inlets (plugging them up), the stuff sticks to pipes, elbows, or anywhere there is flow. Have to really scrub with a toothbrush and rinse to rid of it. I'm on my 4th cleaning. Seems to keep growing (very frustrating). Stopped using the Reef Nutrition products to see if it may go away a couple weeks ago. I've done several larger water changes to help the situation, as well as gha scrubbing/removal. Any advice what it may be? Pic is of the stuff that came out of short hose in my white kitchen sink last night. Pardon the blurriness.

Thanks for your time and advice.

20240421_210039.jpg
I cannot see much detail in the picture. From the description, I am thinking bacteria or cyanobacteria, maybe both. A photo under white light of the growth still attached might help.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 14 31.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 18 40.9%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 20.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 2 4.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.3%
Back