NANO frag tank with Shrimp or Snail/Crabs

Lgara1303

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,
I just setup a small 12 gallon AIO that I am going to use to keep and grow out frags and small corals. I am planning to keep some live sand as well as a little rumble of live rock on the sand and then 4 frag racks on the stand covering above the sand. My question is would it be ok and helpful to keep some small snails or crabs in it. Or even better to me a shrimp or two. I do not plan to have any fish in it so just wondering if this would be helpful with keeping the cycle good and adding something giving off bacteria and such. Also if anyone has any other advice for a small tank like this feel free to share and I will take it into consideration.

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Snails should be fine and they are good at cleaning plugs.

What kinds of corals ? Shrimp are known to pick at lps and steal food from them. They can even pick at coral mouths and steal food as it’s being eaten

Hermit crabs should be ok, they don’t really cause any damage but they sometimes irritate corals by walking on them

OP
OP
L

Lgara1303

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Snails should be fine and they are good at cleaning plugs.

What kinds of corals ? Shrimp are known to pick at lps and steal food from them. They can even pick at coral mouths and steal food as it’s being eaten

Hermit crabs should be ok, they don’t really cause any damage but they sometimes irritate corals by walking on them
It will mostly be LPS and some softie.. Softies at first and then LPS this will be like an experimental tank as well for coral. I shall stick with the crabs and snails.. I was planning to put then under the racks on the rock and sand is that ok? if they make their way to the rack or snails on glass that's ok but would like for the crabs to be under the racks

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 77 55.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.5%
Back