Nano tank pump broke. Need help

bboystyle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a JBJ 15 gallon cubey tank. Friend gave me the tank as a whole (aquascape, corals, fish, everything) so while I'm grateful, I've had this tank for just under a month. I just did a water change earlier today and I stepped out for a few errands and I come back to see that there's no flow. My pump stopped working! I'm freaking out a bit. I wasn't given any manuals either and I can't find any online.

where do i get a new pump? The JBJ Website is kind of a mess.

What do I do for flow and filtration? The tank is extremely clean since I just did a water change. Can I leave it alone while I get new pump? Can I get the pump fixed or am I just SOL when it comes to pumps?

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a JBJ 15 gallon cubey tank. Friend gave me the tank as a whole (aquascape, corals, fish, everything) so while I'm grateful, I've had this tank for just under a month. I just did a water change earlier today and I stepped out for a few errands and I come back to see that there's no flow. My pump stopped working! I'm freaking out a bit. I wasn't given any manuals either and I can't find any online.

where do i get a new pump? The JBJ Website is kind of a mess.

What do I do for flow and filtration? The tank is extremely clean since I just did a water change. Can I leave it alone while I get new pump? Can I get the pump fixed or am I just SOL when it comes to pumps?

Flow is important and absolutely necessary. Do you have a powerhead in the display part?

Did you take the pump apart and clean it thoroughly?

There are many different pumps that you could fit in the back I am sure but you need oxygen exchange going until you get a replacement if you don't have a powerhead. An airstone would work.

The small sicce nano or sicce 1.0 or 1.5 pumps and mightyjet pumps are popular in IM tanks. You just want to be sure they fit in the back chambers. I would suggest a powerhead too if you don't have one.

Last edited:

MattR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best thing to do at the momment is to throw an airstone in there to keep some exchange going. If you have a powerhead just throw that in there and point it to the surface (increase gas exchange). Both these methods work TEMPORARILY until you get a new pump. Im not really familiar with the JBJ pumps/Tanks so I really couldnt help there. Look up the dimensions of the chamber and find a pump that fits (does not need to be the same one!). I like Sicca pumps. Hope this helps!

OP
OP
bboystyle

bboystyle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No powerhead. I'm so new to all of this. It's 10pm right now where I'm at so I can't go out to get anything right now. argh!

I'm gonna try taking the pump out.

MattR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have a turkey baster? If you have some free time stand by the tank everynow and then and blow the water around with a turkey baster to bubble the water (kinda like an airstone)

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No powerhead. I'm so new to all of this. It's 10pm right now where I'm at so I can't go out to get anything right now. argh!

I'm gonna try taking the pump out.

Take the pump apart and clean it and re-assemble. That might be all you need to fix it. If that doesn't work... take a glass of tank water then pour it back in the tank from higher up to help oxygen exchange. Do that a few times every few hours if you can.

Get a small powerhead even if you get the pump working.

OP
OP
bboystyle

bboystyle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PROBLEM SOLVED!! I just cleaned it out and it started working again!! Huge sigh of relief. Thank you for all the help.

That being said, I do now plan to get a pump as a backup. Looking at the Sicce 0.5 since I have a 15 gallon nano.

I really really appreciate this community so much.

OP
OP
bboystyle

bboystyle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take the pump apart and clean it and re-assemble. That might be all you need to fix it. If that doesn't work... take a glass of tank water then pour it back in the tank from higher up to help oxygen exchange. Do that a few times every few hours if you can.

Get a small powerhead even if you get the pump working.

Thank you so much.

I'm leaning towards the Vortech MP10 since I have a small tank. I know it's not cheap, but everyone seems to swear by them. Any other thoughts on powerheads to get?

Wiseguy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much.

I'm leaning towards the Vortech MP10 since I have a small tank. I know it's not cheap, but everyone seems to swear by them. Any other thoughts on powerheads to get?
MP10 is the gold standard, my corals polyp extension was noticeably greater shortly after installing one on Biocube 32.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much.

Other options are the Aqamai KPS or Nero 3 or even a Jabao are all controllable.

Only thing I don't like about my MP10's is the new wetsides don't seem to last as long as they used to but I do have a few running on tanks (but may replace them with the Nero 3's that just came out), some tunze and a KPS on my 5g.

OP
OP
bboystyle

bboystyle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Other options are the Aqamai KPS or Nero 3 or even a Jabao are all controllable.

Only thing I don't like about my MP10's is the new wetsides don't seem to last as long as they used to but I do have a few running on tanks (but may replace them with the Nero 3's that just came out), some tunze and a KPS on my 5g.

I appreciate the suggestions. I'm gonna look into a powerhead and a new pump. maybe even just get a pump as a backup.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 21.5%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.3%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 161 72.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 4.9%
Back