Need advice from those that have experience with powder blue tangs.

whitelightning77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so I got a smallish powder blue tang last week. Its about 3 inches and its been in a 40gal tank for quarantine.. its doing great and eats just about everything(flakes, mysis, brine). This weekend I tried to add a pretty good sized pin tail wrasse to that tank. The tang immediately started giving the wrasse a hard time. So I've separated the tank with some egg crate. I know that tank is way too small for a pbt, but like I said, its a qt for a month or so.

My question is, do any of you guys have a positive experience with these tangs in regards to aggression? The tank it will be going in is a 300 gal tank. Its 84"x36"x24" tall. There are multiple wrasses in there and a yellow tang.

cilyjr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
do any of you guys have a positive experience with these tangs in regards to aggression?
If by positive you mean extremely aggressive then yes. My powder blue attacks anything and everything in my 320 gallon tank. He usually gives up after a day of a new addition.
The last time I added fish I added seven all at once. And, he was pretty confused about who he wanted to attack.

My advice is let him be the last fish that goes in or alternatively do a big add after him

Readywriter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tang police might jump on me for this but when I was 17 I had a pbt in a 72 bowfront. Aquascape broke the tank up into 3 zones and I never saw it be aggressive at all, it was the most chill fish in the tank.

OP
OP
whitelightning77

whitelightning77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If by positive you mean extremely aggressive then yes. My powder blue attacks anything and everything in my 320 gallon tank. He usually gives up after a day of a new addition.
The last time I added fish I added seven all at once. And, he was pretty confused about who he wanted to attack.

My advice is let him be the last fish that goes in or alternatively do a big add after him
I know they can be aggressive. I usually leave my fish in a large acclimation box when introducing new fish. I can deal with some initial aggression on new arrivals but I don't want this fish to be a terror to anything and everything ALL THE TIME.

OP
OP
whitelightning77

whitelightning77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been wanting a pbt for a while now, and now that I set up a proper quarantine system I bit the bullet. Esp because it was a really nice vibrant color.

At the moment I have a 5-6" yellow tang, a swallowtail angel, a red margin fairy, a whipfin fairy, a leopard wrasse, 2 yellow coris wrasses, a female malannarus wrasse, an earmuffs wrasse, a scotts fairy wrasse and probably 1 or 2 more fish im forgetting about. So I'm not going to be adding a TON more fish but I'm sure ill be adding a couple more wrasses and a male swallowtail in the near future.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so I got a smallish powder blue tang last week. Its about 3 inches and its been in a 40gal tank for quarantine.. its doing great and eats just about everything(flakes, mysis, brine). This weekend I tried to add a pretty good sized pin tail wrasse to that tank. The tang immediately started giving the wrasse a hard time. So I've separated the tank with some egg crate. I know that tank is way too small for a pbt, but like I said, its a qt for a month or so.

My question is, do any of you guys have a positive experience with these tangs in regards to aggression? The tank it will be going in is a 300 gal tank. Its 84"x36"x24" tall. There are multiple wrasses in there and a yellow tang.

FYI: When you add a new fish to a fish that is already in QT, the QT calendar resets to ZERO for the fish that was in QT when then new fish was added..

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 4.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 103 80.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.7%
Back