need advice

msman825

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 6-7 inch DSB and i disturbed it by siphoning it out really good 2 weeks ago and did a 30% waterchange, now my nitrates are pass pink more red with salifert, so i'm going too take it all down and go BB. so what i'm wondering is if i add all new water back too the system will i have a cycle

vetteman

licking zoa's
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just can't leave well enough alone huh? I'd say water changes and skimming are about all you can do right now...... what makes you want to go BB.... I have a DSB and a Remote DSB and I wouldn't give them up for anything... I would think you'll have a cycle no matter what.... If you have a lot of rock it may not be near as bad as a freshly set up tank but your bound to have some die off of bacteria and it depends on the livestock level... Good Luck

surfn

I bleed orange and maroon
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you take the sand bed out, and either go BB or shallow sand bed, you will most likely get some sort of cycle.

if you take all the old water out, and put in new water, you will definitely get a cycle.....not to mention really stress out the corals and fish.

OP
OP
msman825

msman825

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yup, got tired of looking at dirty sand and its black sand too lol It's headed BB running 2 kor # 4's each side in front and 2 modded 1200's in the back so sand is a problem anyway. around 140+ pounds of rock going in trash cans with powerheads on them for a couple days. Corals and fish are all out as of now. so it's on. I'll set it all back up and run it for a couple of weeks keeping a eye on parameters, you need some more sand :)

surfn

I bleed orange and maroon
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yup, got tired of looking at dirty sand and its black sand too lol It's headed BB running 2 kor # 4's each side in front and 2 modded 1200's in the back so sand is a problem anyway. around 140+ pounds of rock going in trash cans with powerheads on them for a couple days. Corals and fish are all out as of now. so it's on. I'll set it all back up and run it for a couple of weeks keeping a eye on parameters, you need some more sand :)

if you plan on going stricly BB........are you planning on running a refugium? if you do, i would strongly suggest getting some aragalive sand for it.....that may help limit any cycling that occurs.

KEEPERZ

TOTM March 08'
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Corals and fish are all out as of now. so it's on.

LoL-msman,your not messing around,you could have left most of the water in-no? Try to put back as much old water as you can if you have any left or your corals are gonna go into more shock then needed-congrats on the BB.

OP
OP
msman825

msman825

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No fuge. my sump dont got the chamber plus a lot of flow going threw it

OP
OP
msman825

msman825

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
got all the corals out as soon as i seen my zoos not opening like they supost too and saw my trates turning pink. want they be enuff trates on my rock too not shock the corals. Going too run ur for a couple weeks anyway

rackyrane

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Msman,
My sand was kind of dirty too until I bought several nassirius (spelling?) snails and a sea star to stir up the sand. Also bought a sand sifting goby and now my sand stays clean.

OP
OP
msman825

msman825

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yah, I had a pair of mandrins in there and didn't want anything fooling with them. old shoot and only one i ever took, but what once was is no longer
90GalwWrasseTheGuardDog.jpg

OP
OP
msman825

msman825

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
she's tore down and setting in carport cleaned up ready to go . anyone need some sand

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 51 20.6%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 180 72.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 4.8%
Back