Need Guidance Please

Cscultho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been in the SW Reefing hobby for ~20yrs and ive experienced for the first time a complete loss of all my fish. Suspect my last addition, flame angel, was the culprit.

32 g bio
running 8-months fully cycled w/25lbs LR and sandbed
2-clowns
1-yellow tail damsel
1-flame angel

The clowns and yellow tail have been in the tank for 3-months and healthy. Add the flame angel month ago and all the fish died ~1 week after. Not knowing what happened, I reluctantly added another damsel and dead after 1-week. Apparently, the flame brought something into the tank that killed everybody. Lessons learned - need to quarantine all new fish.

Question: How do i proceed from here? Do I go fallow for 60days and raise the temp to 81F? Help direct me in the right direction! Thanks in advance!!!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I've been in the SW Reefing hobby for ~20yrs and ive experienced for the first time a complete loss of all my fish. Suspect my last addition, flame angel, was the culprit.

32 g bio
2-clowns
1-yellow tail damsel
1-flame angel

The clowns and yellow tail have been in the tank for 3-months and healthy. Add the flame angel month ago and all the fish died ~1 week after. Not knowing what happened, I reluctantly added another damsel and dead after 1-week. Apparently, the flame brought something into the tank that killed everybody. Lessons learned - need to quarantine all new fish.

Question: How do i proceed from here? Do I go fallow for 60days and raise the temp to 81F? Help direct me in the right direction! Thanks in advance!!!
Hate to preach this but reason for quarantine or at least a dip.
You will be best setting up a quarantine and leaving tank fallow for 45-60 days and starting with a coppersafe treatment for a FULL 30 days and follow with Prazi pro treatment.
For copper, treat with Coppersafe or Copper Power at therapeutic level 2.25-2.5 For a FULL 30 days (do not interrupt this 30 day period) monitored by a reliable Copper Test kit such as Hanna Brand- No API brand. Also monitor Ammonia levels while in quarantine with a reliable test kit and add aeration during treatment using an air stone.
For Prazi, apply initial dosage known as an interval for 8 days, do a water change and do one more 8 day dose interval
Use airstone with prazi as it does reduce both oxygen and appetite

OP
OP
Cscultho

Cscultho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hate to preach this but reason for quarantine or at least a dip.
You will be best setting up a quarantine and leaving tank fallow for 45-60 days and starting with a coppersafe treatment for a FULL 30 days and follow with Prazi pro treatment.
For copper, treat with Coppersafe or Copper Power at therapeutic level 2.25-2.5 For a FULL 30 days (do not interrupt this 30 day period) monitored by a reliable Copper Test kit such as Hanna Brand- No API brand. Also monitor Ammonia levels while in quarantine with a reliable test kit and add aeration during treatment using an air stone.
For Prazi, apply initial dosage known as an interval for 8 days, do a water change and do one more 8 day dose interval
Use airstone with prazi as it does reduce both oxygen and appetite
Thanks for the feedback. Unforunately, I have no fish alive so I currently dont need a quarantine tank. How would i treat my display tank to ensure ive rid it of what ever killed off all my fish? Sorry I failed to say this at the start, this tank will be a coral tank. I currently only have one coral and it is a Firework Clove. Do i just leave my display tank fallow for 60 days? Water changes? I do have snails and hermits as well. thanks for your support.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Thanks for the feedback. Unforunately, I have no fish alive so I currently dont need a quarantine tank. How would i treat my display tank to ensure ive rid it of what ever killed off all my fish? Sorry I failed to say this at the start, this tank will be a coral tank. I currently only have one coral and it is a Firework Clove. Do i just leave my display tank fallow for 60 days? Water changes? I do have snails and hermits as well. thanks for your support.
Fallow- Add no fish for the next 60 days with temp at 80 degrees. You can add coral or inverts safely although I would add nothing

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

32 g bio
2-clowns
1-yellow tail damsel
1-flame angel

First - did the fish have any symptoms? Breathing, spots, etc? Its important to know what killed them first (was it a toxin, ammonia, to low oxygen, velvet, flukes, ich, etc)

Second - to answer your question - yes - I would use the fallow protocol (pick your version there is a 76 and 45 day version) - Then - when you add new fish - use a QT protocol. Sorry about your fish.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 22.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 33.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 57 31.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 9.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.2%
Back