Need help diagnosing possible Ich parasite/hyposalinty as best cure?

Aquatic Gardener

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know, I know. Let me first say that while I shake my head at the computer screen. My tank has been up for around 6-7 months (75g reef) and I just introduced a new Yellow-Eye Kole Tang into the community. I have 4 damsels that have been in there from the beginning (after the cycle of course). I DID NOT QUARANTINE THE KOLE TANG, I just acclimated him/her -_-

Again, I know. I'm still shaking my head. She/he seemed fine at the store (no spots/obvious signs of ich), and was in a tank at 1.018 salinity. I acclimated with the drip method to my tanks 1.023 and then just put it in. I thought about it, I did. Just didnt have the extra tank setup at the time, and honestly was just excited about having a tang in my tank. I should have quarantined....

Anyways it's the end of day 3 since I introduced the tang into my reef and I've noticed on its left side, almost right before where the dorsal fin begins on its back side. the Caudal Peduncle of the fish. (just Google it, that's what I did) there is a speck, grain of sand sized white speck. Also, around his/her right eye, are some white spots, almost like scars. not raised but white area of skin I guess, maybe scar isn't a good adjective. The tang however has not been itching, and none of the damsels have displayed any symptoms.

I have a few pictures/videos of the tang, but I'm not too sure if they are close enough to be able to see what I'm referring to. The description is the best I have for the time being.

SO MY QUESTION IS: Do I jump the gun and go with, yes it's ich? Do I wait it out for a few more days? Ive got everything I need for the quarantine tank, but to be perfectly honest it makes me nervous to put my fish in there when it hasn't been cycled, where I have a perfectly safe main tank. Just makes me nervous haha.

I've also been reading about ich and I believe I have come to the conclusion that seaweed soaked in garlic will not cure the fish, just suppress the issue. I think hyposalinty treatment might be my best option, however, I'm nervous about that too. Bringing it all the way down to 1.008???? WHAT?!

Just would like some feedback/advice/step by step guide on what to do (lol) anything, please and thanks!

-Ben

(I can post pictures if need to!)

OP
OP
A

Aquatic Gardener

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, I believe the tang is fairly young. Maybe 2-3 inches in length, 1.5 inches in height (rough estimate, lights out right now)

OP
OP
A

Aquatic Gardener

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
White specs can be signs of malnutrition also. Lymphosyts also. I wouldn't wory bout those others, good water and well fish stay healthy.

OP
OP
A

Aquatic Gardener

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well the little white "speck" has disappeared from the Tang's Caudal Peduncle area. If it was ich, I'm assuming the parasite fell off, as it's ben exactly 7 days now that I've had the tang. No visible signs of ich on my other fish (4 damsels)

The tang has been eating seaweed normally, everything seems fine. Still can't help but feel I do have ich in my tank.

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Healthy fish wont get it. Keep em fat and no stress and your fine.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 87 44.4%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 68 34.7%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 27 13.8%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 12 6.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%

Back