Need help dirtying my tank. Zoas are starting to melt.

W0terMoist

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a mixed reef tank and recently my zoas have began melting. Turns out my system is too clean and needs to be dirtier.

Tank is a JBJ 45 gal cube aio. Light is a red sea 90 led. Photo of the whole tank taken after I rearranged the coral and rock, the alveopora is angry.

I plan on going longer between water changes, by a few days. Today I took out my gfo. I need to feed my sps more so that should add to waste (I have brs reef chilli I'll begin feeding). And lastly feed the fish a bit heavier.

There are dosing options but I'll try those after I do some of the more practical methods like with feeding the corals more, removing gfo, and adding a couple more days between water changes. I'll make sure take it slowly.

Any thoughts?

Screenshot_20221125_205400_Photos.jpg Screenshot_20221125_205730_Photos.jpg Screenshot_20221125_205813_Photos.jpg

damsels are not mean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a mixed reef tank and recently my zoas have began melting. Turns out my system is too clean and needs to be dirtier.

Tank is a JBJ 45 gal cube aio. Light is a red sea 90 led. Photo of the whole tank taken after I rearranged the coral and rock, the alveopora is angry.

I plan on going longer between water changes, by a few days. Today I took out my gfo. I need to feed my sps more so that should add to waste (I have brs reef chilli I'll begin feeding). And lastly feed the fish a bit heavier.

There are dosing options but I'll try those after I do some of the more practical methods like with feeding the corals more, removing gfo, and adding a couple more days between water changes. I'll make sure take it slowly.

Any thoughts?

Screenshot_20221125_205400_Photos.jpg Screenshot_20221125_205730_Photos.jpg Screenshot_20221125_205813_Photos.jpg
What is too clean?

OP
OP
W0terMoist

W0terMoist

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like when you have zero phosphates and nitrates and your softies, my zoas, start to melt since they do best in water that's a little dirty.

elysics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not both? Dose to get away from zero zero and then feed more to sustain levels longterm.

If you have unplanned zero phosphates, that's an emergency that you need to fix now, not feed a random amount of food and hope the problem goes away.

Your pets are already dying.

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 21 48.8%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 11 25.6%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 10 23.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.3%
Back