Need help with my cleaning crew :-(

caro325

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know what to do :downcast-face-with-sweat::loudly-crying-face:. I have a small 15G tank that has 3 little clowns in it.....because it is a fairly new tank I am still trying to deal with algae. I added a 3-4 hermit crabs and several snails to help get raid of it, but the hermit crabs kept killing the snails (even though they already had a bunch of empty shells)......I went to my LFS for suggestions, and they sold me 2-3 large turbo snails and said they would be safe because they were bigger than the crabs.......... the crabs got to 1 of them but the others made..... on another trip, they suggested I add a sea urchin to my crew...... I did, but now the urchin killed the snails by wearing them as hats and/or the snails are not "cleaning", if they spend their time in a tour of the tank on top of the urchin :frowning-face::rolleyes::angry-face:. any suggestions on what I can add to my crew???

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
in a 15g 3 clowns might not be sustainable…
I don’t like hermits for algae and I really don’t like them with snails… its possible the snail was dying anyway as hermits “usually” don’t bother snails to big for a mobile home…

perhaps reset your cuc to include less hermits but perhaps a few ceriths and nerites (if covered) …a small conch and narcissus snails wouldn’t hurt

Last edited:

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You do realize that you will be dealing with tank uglies throughout the first year right? Weekly water changes and lots of manual removal is the first step with a nano tank then augment that with a diverse cleaner crew. Try cerith snails for the rocks. Hermits don't use those types of shells typically.

OP
OP
C

caro325

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
in a 15g 3 clowns might not be sustainable…
I don’t like hermits for algae and I really don’t like them with snails… its possible the snail was dying anyway as hermits “usually” don’t bother snails to big for a mobile home…

perhaps reset your cuc to include less hermits but perhaps a few verity’s and merited (if covered) …a small conch and narcissus snails wouldn’t hurt
Thank you for the suggestion. I will see if I can find the type of snails you suggested. Regarding the 3 clowns, the 15G is only my starting tank I will move up on size when I get a good hold on the sea water tanks and/or it becomes to cramped for them.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree that sooner or later, one of those clowns will be the odd man out.

Can we see a pic of the tank? Seeing the problem can help generate more suggestions.

OP
OP
C

caro325

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You do realize that you will be dealing with tank uglies throughout the first year right? Weekly water changes and lots of manual removal is the first step with a nano tank the augment that with a diverse cleaner crew. Try cerith snails for the rocks. Hermits don't use those types of shells typically.
I will try to find that type of snail. and yes, I am aware of the "uglies", that is why I am trying to figure the best approach to dealing with them ;);)

saltnut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 clowns are almost always better than 3. 2 of the 3 will eventually pair up and the odd fish left will almost always be harassed to death.
Also, a noticeable difference in the size allows pairing to happen with less fighting. Largest becomes the female smallest becomes male.

OP
OP
C

caro325

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree that sooner or later, one of those clowns will be the odd man out.

Can we see a pic of the tank? Seeing the problem can help generate more suggestions.
I will take a picture when I get out of work........ I now that eventually 2 of the clowns are going to bond....... my hope is to get a handle on working with seawater stuff (AND get the budget), to move up on size, before it becomes a problem..........

Peair

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
S
I don't know what to do :downcast-face-with-sweat::loudly-crying-face:. I have a small 15G tank that has 3 little clowns in it.....because it is a fairly new tank I am still trying to deal with algae. I added a 3-4 hermit crabs and several snails to help get raid of it, but the hermit crabs kept killing the snails (even though they already had a bunch of empty shells)......I went to my LFS for suggestions, and they sold me 2-3 large turbo snails and said they would be safe because they were bigger than the crabs.......... the crabs got to 1 of them but the others made..... on another trip, they suggested I add a sea urchin to my crew...... I did, but now the urchin killed the snails by wearing them as hats and/or the snails are not "cleaning", if they spend their time in a tour of the tank on top of the urchin :frowning-face::rolleyes::angry-face:. any suggestions on what I can add to my crew???
Sometimes a 15 gal is harder to keep up then a 50 gal, it's so Tight in there, all types of algae can come quicker, try less of things, less live rock, have good replacement live rock ready when everything gets out of hand, and less of things makes it a lot easier to clean.

OP
OP
C

caro325

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
S

Sometimes a 15 gal is harder to keep up then a 50 gal, it's so Tight in there, all types of algae can come quicker, try less of things, less live rock, have good replacement live rock ready when everything gets out of hand, and less of things makes it a lot easier to clean.
noted...... I was also thinking of adding a couple of live plants (directly into the tank as I don't have a sump or refuge...... I read that dragon breath and Chaeto was good...........

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
noted...... I was also thinking of adding a couple of live plants (directly into the tank as I don't have a sump or refuge...... I read that dragon breath and Chaeto was good...........
You don't want chaeto in your DT.

BubblesandSqueak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will take a picture when I get out of work........ I now that eventually 2 of the clowns are going to bond....... my hope is to get a handle on working with seawater stuff (AND get the budget), to move up on size, before it becomes a problem..........
the reference on the clowns is one of these 3 clowns will meet their demise in a single tank. Two of the clowns (males) will be pretty beat up. Unless you plan to keep 2 tanks going. 15 gallons will be kind of small since most clowns get to 3-4".

Peair

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not add those plants to a 15 gal, maybe if you had a mini sump, just try and keep it less, simple, clean.

OP
OP
C

caro325

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the reference on the clowns is one of these 3 clowns will meet their demise in a single tank. Two of the clowns (males) will be pretty beat up. Unless you plan to keep 2 tanks going. 15 gallons will be kind of small since most clowns get to 3-4".
What I might do then is set up another tank and put the 3rd clown fish there:)

OP
OP
C

caro325

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not add those plants to a 15 gal, maybe if you had a mini sump, just try and keep it less, simple, clean.
I understand... That is why I seek answers for this issues here. I always learn something new

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You do realize that you will be dealing with tank uglies throughout the first year right? Weekly water changes and lots of manual removal is the first step with a nano tank then augment that with a diverse cleaner crew. Try cerith snails for the rocks. Hermits don't use those types of shells typically.
FWIW - hermits don't kill for house shopping... they are just opportunistic when it comes to food.

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also 15g is IMHO way too small for a single clown, let alone a pair and certainly for three.

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok...... what would you put in it???
A tank that small, with rock and coral? Any of the smaller gobies or blennies that don't swim too far or too often. Clowns are kind of pushing it... you just don't have a lot of good options for tanks so small, even if people cram all kinds of stuff into them.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 64 31.7%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 53 26.2%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 42 20.8%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 41 20.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back