Need help with Noo-Psyche K7 mini

horvat208

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello fellow reefers!

I have just acquired a Noo-Psyche K7 mini light from for my new cube and im seeing there is no shimmer.

Im just curious did I miss something when setting the light up? Other than that, the light works without any problem.

Have anyone encounter the same problem?

Im attaching a short video of it working.

Attachments

• VID_20231123_170344.mp4
    22.2 MB

Amstar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your video didn’t work. - hard to tell /help without seeing what you mean - or it might just be my phone. Maybe someone else can see the video

OP
OP
H

horvat208

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your video didn’t work. - hard to tell /help without seeing what you mean - or it might just be my phone. Maybe someone else can see the video
Well on my phone the video is working.

Anyways my light produces no shimmer effect at all.
Many folks on this forum praise them for their shimmer.

Im just curious If im missing something.

Blopple

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that a plastic bag over the top of the water? I imagine that would have an impact on shimmer as it's reducing surface water movement.

Mhamilton0911

BitterSalty
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 to removing that plastic on top of the water. Shimmer will happen with surface water movement.

OP
OP
H

horvat208

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well yes its a kitchen wrapping foil because i was waiting for my glass cover being cut for light fixture openings.. didn't want for the water to evaporate too fast

But yes even if i remove it (yes i tried) there is no shimmer from the light itself. But i get shimmer effect from my powerhead blowing the water line and agitating it a bit.

But i think this light have a built in artificial shimmer effect like Kessil lights have.. or am I wrong?

Its still my first reef tank...

Blopple

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well yes its a kitchen wrapping foil because i was waiting for my glass cover being cut for light fixture openings.. didn't want for the water to evaporate too fast

But yes even if i remove it (yes i tried) there is no shimmer from the light itself. But i get shimmer effect from my powerhead blowing the water line and agitating it a bit.

But i think this light have a built in artificial shimmer effect like Kessil lights have.. or am I wrong?

Its still my first reef tank...
As far as I'm aware shimmer is essentially a function of surface agitation and light focus. Without surface agitation there will be no shimmer regardless of the light.

These lights will provide nice shimmer with good surface agitation which you likely want anyway for gas exchange.

OP
OP
H

horvat208

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as I'm aware shimmer is essentially a function of surface agitation and light focus. Without surface agitation there will be no shimmer regardless of the light.

These lights will provide nice shimmer with good surface agitation which you likely want anyway for gas exchange.
So this whole time I thought when people said this and this light have a nice shimmer, they were talking about shimmer from surface agitation? Not some sort of feature that particular light have?

Why T5 lights are not producing any shimmer than?

Blopple

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this whole time I thought when people said this and this light have a nice shimmer, they were talking about shimmer from surface agitation? Not some sort of feature that particular light have?

Why T5 lights are not producing any shimmer than?
I'm getting out of my depth here, but the more diffuse the lighting is (like with T5s) the less shimmer it will provide.

It's a similar concept to a light diffuser for photography. You can view the ripples on the surface as creating little shadows (the shimmer). The more evenly spread out the light is from it's source the less pronounced the shadows will be and the less shimmer we see.

I'm pretty new as well. Hopefully somebody more experienced can chime in with a better explanation.

EDIT: I'm sure you could artificially figure out a way to create a shimmer effect without surface agitation, sort of like with those galaxy lamps, but it seems like an unnecessary step and would certainly come at the expense of PAR and probably a headache.

Last edited:

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm getting out of my depth here, but the more diffuse the lighting is (like with T5s) the less shimmer it will provide.

It's a similar concept to a light diffuser for photography. You can view the ripples on the surface as creating little shadows (the shimmer). The more evenly spread out the light is from it's source the less pronounced the shadows will be and the less shimmer we see.

I'm pretty new as well. Hopefully somebody more experienced can chime in with a better explanation.

EDIT: I'm sure you could artificially figure out a way to create shimmer without surface agitation, sort of like with those galaxy lamps, but it seems like an unnecessary step and would certainly come at the expense of PAR and probably a headache.
Your explanation sounds good to me.

A light from a single point will have a better shimmer with surface agitation. That’s why kessils have so much because their light is from a single point. Lights that spread the light out over a larger surface area produce less shimmer.

Shimmer is a function of the design of the light and the surface agitation not some special feature of the light.

OP
OP
H

horvat208

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

EDIT: I'm sure you could artificially figure out a way to create a shimmer effect without surface agitation, sort of like with those galaxy lamps, but it seems like an unnecessary step and would certainly come at the expense of PAR and probably a headache.
Oh.. ok yeah it makes sense that light from t5 is more dispersed than tle light from these spotlight type of lights..

Good that cleared things up for me thanks :)

OP
OP
H

horvat208

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your explanation sounds good to me.

A light from a single point will have a better shimmer with surface agitation. That’s why kessils have so much because their light is from a single point. Lights that spread the light out over a larger surface area produce less shimmer.

Shimmer is a function of the design of the light and the surface agitation not some special feature of the light.
Yeah good thanks for explaining it :)

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 51 20.5%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 181 72.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 4.8%
Back