Need help with (possibly) healthy white acropora

douglaslps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A quick introduction to my tank:
- 200 liters display + 50 liters sump
- 3 AI Prime (2 hours ramp up, 5.5 hours on constant light, 2 hours ramp down - 98% on blue channels + 25% on white)
- Tunze DOC Skimmer 9410 cleaned weekly
- HOG1x ATS removing algae weekly
- Dosing balling with automatic doser twice a day
- AI Nero 5 as the circulation pump

Now the problem: I recently purchased a millepora acropora frag that was showing a really soft green and yellow coloration (the seller didn't mention he was using an orange filter for the pictures).
When I received it, to my surprise I could barely see any color.
I questioned the seller and he told me that his colony is also whiteish without camera filters.
I still can see the polyps extending and no algae are growing on it which are both good signs, but I was expecting it to have some color to the bare eyes.
This is a picture of the colony the frag was extracted from:
WhatsApp Image 2019-12-18 at 20.16.02.jpeg

And then some pictures of my frag (I tried to do my best to adjust the white balance):

20191218_200409.jpg

20191218_201407.jpg

Sorry for the poor picture quality that I took with my phone but you can see the polyps here and there...

Note: I recently bumped my potassium back to 400 and started doing monthly water changes (did the second a few weeks ago) after reading this reefbuilders guide: https://reefbuilders.com/2008/09/03/guide-of-sps-coral-coloration-make-them-more-vivid-bright/#

Ideas on how to get the mille color back?

Silent

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are your nitrates and phosphates at? What are the levels of the tank it came from? Are you both possibly running a ULNS? If the seller is than it might take months for it to color up.

OP
OP
douglaslps

douglaslps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't checked my nitrates in a while. Last time I checked my phosphates (two months ago) it was showing 0 both on a Hanna reader and a Salifert test kit.
I get that as good news since the lack of color was to me, an indication that there were no zooxanthellae on the milli and that would cause it to die.

JCOLE

Grower of the Small Polyps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What spectrum are your lights running at? To me the first picture looks heavily saturated in all blues while yours has a lot more whites. Would be interested in what yours look like with all blues and a filter on your camera?

45ZoaGarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see hints of the color. Get an orange filter or orange glasses to look at it. What are n&p? 0 phosphates is not good. 0 could be 0.00 or 0.90... what about the big 3?

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 6 14.6%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 8 19.5%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 25 61.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 4.9%
Back