Need help with rapid salinity drop

MB1227

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Long and terrible story (flood / loss of power) short… I need to drop salinity from 1.040 to 1.025 fast to get a porcupine puffer in to a temporary tank. Temp tank is cycled and running at 1.025. His current salinity is high and the tank got contaminated with plaster / sheet rock and I want him out of that water asap. Currently doing a slowwwwww drip acclimation but can I step it up drop him over the next hour fairly safely? I know going down fast is okay typically but is that too fast? Sorry this isn’t really a disease but I’m trying to get quick help. Thanks all in advance

OP
OP
MB1227

MB1227

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update, goal is to drop over 3 hours and hope for the best. Based on old posts should be okay in theory

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Update, goal is to drop over 3 hours and hope for the best. Based on old posts should be okay in theory
You can Safely drop quickly but Raise Slowly. I remove a quart and replace with a quart of RO water until desired Level. You can go with larger replacement

OP
OP
MB1227

MB1227

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can Safely drop quickly but Raise Slowly. I remove a quart and replace with a quart of RO water until desired Level. You can go with larger replacement
Thank you for the reassurance, I truly appreciate it, so far fish isn’t stressed despite a very stressful situation.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would agree with this - another option is make up fresh saltwater to 1.040 - and put the fish there - that takes care of the contamination - then as you say - drop the salinity over several hours - the good news is that dropping salinity more quickly is less of an issue that raising it. However, your fish had a rapid rise - so I might go a little slower then 3 hours. Sorry if someone has already posted this - I can't read other answers for some reason! Best wishes and sorry for the mess

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Long and terrible story (flood / loss of power) short… I need to drop salinity from 1.040 to 1.025 fast to get a porcupine puffer in to a temporary tank. Temp tank is cycled and running at 1.025. His current salinity is high and the tank got contaminated with plaster / sheet rock and I want him out of that water asap. Currently doing a slowwwwww drip acclimation but can I step it up drop him over the next hour fairly safely? I know going down fast is okay typically but is that too fast? Sorry this isn’t really a disease but I’m trying to get quick help. Thanks all in advance

Is fast a good idea?

I know that rapid increase can cause osmotic shock. Isn't the same true for a rapid decrease?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Is fast a good idea?

I know that rapid increase can cause osmotic shock. Isn't the same true for a rapid decrease?
No, not entirely - a drop in salinity is generally better tolerated than a sudden rise. However, both should be avoided.

Protein Skimmers – Are They Really Necessary?

• YES

Votes: 13 54.2%
  • NO

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • Not Sure

Votes: 6 25.0%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back