Need Help with Zoas & Clarification

terri_ann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi and thanks in advance for any insight, help and/or clarification you can offer. I noticed a few weeks ago a few different zoas were not looking well. Their poylps were getting smaller. A couple days later- The polyps were closed or half-closed, some were fully open. Some zoas had a white colored coating on the bases and on the small piece of rock or plug. Some also showed what looked like a browish color on the polyp tips. Some of the closed polyps felt/feel very hard/ridgid to the touch.

My first line of attach was to lightly wipe off the brown with my fingers. The next day it was back so I used a soft toothbrush...next day, back again. The polyps that were partially closed, closed all the way and have not reopened. The next attach was to dip in CoralRX and use a soft toothbrush; no affect on the brown and the white coating (not spots). Also, the zoas with the white on them, the bases and plugs/rock areas, didn't change at all I cannot remove the white, even using a soft toothbrush during the dip. It just slowly spreads so it seems. At first I thought a sponge, but I don't think so. If it's a fungus, it's not budging! In addition, the clove poylps showed this white stuff too...the cloves closed and now they are all white and one cannot tell they are/were cloves:sad:

I have over 30 varieties and it seems to be slowly spreading...the white stuff, polyps shrinking, more becoming ridgid, more polyps closing. Tank parameters are fine and stable. I have read and what I've seen to use is Lugol's, CoralRX, Revive, Vitamin C, hydrogen peroxide, Furnan2 and FW dips. What do you think I'm dealing with? (Have not seen any pests) What would you suggest for treatment and how? I have a 20g long that can be used for isolation/QT and I plan to set this up tomorrow. Would treating those zoas that have not shown any signs of problems, benefit from a treatment? I do not feel comfortable placing them in the same QT. Lastly, for those zoas in QT that are/do open, should I feed them? Thank You!!

rock_lobster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm very hard to tell but sounds like a bacterial film or else some small microfauna that has reached large populations. In either case I think dipping is the only option because they are deriving nutrients from your zoas you will not be able to starve it out. Do you have copepods in your system?

rock_lobster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive used Furan 2 with great success as well as peroxide and lugols but it seems to only last for a day or 2 if the infection is in the tank it will just move right back in. look really close at your glass/sand or frags maybe with a magnifying glass and see what sort of fauna there is if its moving its definitely not bacteria. You should also get some pods from a local reefer or order some they are very important predators in the enclosed reef system just like snails for algae.

Rob&Gab

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is tehre a picture your able to post up to help us visually ? so we can get a little better understanding threw the photo as well as your words.?

Rob&Gab

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
make sure you are able to Dip all of them if you seee it spreading. its a way so you dont have to go back in the tank over and over. Just do it at one time.

joshporksandwich

Zoa addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look up furan 2 dip. It seem your zoas have a fungal infection and furan is an antibitic that will kill the fungus. Try cutting the ones that look healthy if it's possible.

Rob&Gab

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look up furan 2 dip. It seem your zoas have a fungal infection and furan is an antibitic that will kill the fungus. Try cutting the ones that look healthy if it's possible.

+1 cutting off the infected ones from the rest of them will Most likely stop the rest of the infection from spreading.

OP
OP
terri_ann

terri_ann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone. I just dipped a few in Revive. Some of thpolyps that have been closed for a long time, came off as I touched them :( Haven't gotten the Qt set up but will nor anything else. Too busy of a day and night getting ready for the last Christmas party :( I'm going to try h. peroxide now. I will try to get pics but I don't think you will see much except on the cloves which will give you a good view of the white stuff. It will be late tonight before I can get any pic and update. Thanks agin! I need to get this contained!!

OP
OP
terri_ann

terri_ann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive used Furan 2 with great success as well as peroxide and lugols but it seems to only last for a day or 2 if the infection is in the tank it will just move right back in. look really close at your glass/sand or frags maybe with a magnifying glass and see what sort of fauna there is if its moving its definitely not bacteria. You should also get some pods from a local reefer or order some they are very important predators in the enclosed reef system just like snails for algae.

I believe you have nailed it with bacteria:bigsmile: I found a slimy, gooey glob under a zoa plug. I have also begun to see the white on the rocks which cannot be blown off with a baster. I also found an overabundance of bacteria when I changed out the GAC. I will do a larger WC and order some Furan2. I believe it is highly likely that the re-scape I did about a month ago has caused this problem due to some disturbance of the SB and detritus being waterbourne for the days I was rescaping.

Thank you Rock and everyone else! Having over 30 varieteos of zoas, I was greatly concerned of losing them all:sad: It is amaxing to be in this hobby for years and still experience problems never encountered before...part of why this hobby is so fascinating:bounce:

OP
OP
terri_ann

terri_ann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oops, forgot. I want to make sure I order enough Furan2 so how many doses are required per directions? Thanks!!

OP
OP
terri_ann

terri_ann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wait till you hit almost 100 you'll be even more worried. ! im glad you found out your problem. GL and happy reefing!

I'll wait...Not! I'm an old(er) woman and have way too many tanks now! Besides that problem, I can't say no to any coral that is calling my name! I'm just going to have to stay home because today I brought home 1 zoa and 10 Sps's. Friday was 2 SPS's. Told ya, I HAVE to stay home!! lol

Last edited:

rock_lobster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You only need to purchase one of the 10pk boxes. Each pack is strong enough to treat all your zoas at once(via dipping). And I would do it once a day for three days then let them rest for a week or so.

I'll wait...Not! I'm an old(er) woman and have way too many tanks now! Besides that problem, I can't say no to any coral that is calling my name! I'm just going to have to stay home because today I brought home 1 zoa and 10 Sps's. Friday was 2 SPS's. Told ya, I HAVE to stay home!! lol

reefpeeper

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1^ only thing that has worked for me is furan2. try doding vitamin c also as a prevention of disease

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 13 14.8%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 19 21.6%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 51 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 5.7%
Back