Need help!!!!

jaws789832

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also remember that the evaporation will be noticed in the sump, not the display tank. the water in your return pump section will go down. that's why its vital to keep an eye on it you don't want your return pump running dry. Is your tank drilled (does it have holes in the back of the tank where plumbing runs through to get the water to and from the sump) or is it a syphon overflow (where the plumbing runs up over the top of the tank and relys on a syphon to keep water flowing to the sump). Basically when you turn off your return pump that sump should be able to hold all water the drains from your display tank, then when you turn your pump back on and mark a line on the return chamber of your sump. This line is the water line that you want to top off to. Anytime its lower that that top it off back up to the line but never go over it or you can have a flood if you ever loose power.

jaws789832

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And yes a sump becomes basically an all purpose garbage can. It will hold your heaters, filter socks, filter media, skimmer, reactors (carbon, gfo, calcium ect), refugium, return pump (for flow as well) and any other gadget you can think of as you get more high tech. Now of course you don't need all that but a lot of them makes things easier as you advance to harder to keep and maintain corals. That's why in my first post (on a tank that size) I stated you will probably upgrade you sump at some point because you will run out of room pretty fast. Its a palce to put all that ugly (but vital) equipment so you can enjoy viewing the Display tank (DT) wire and clutter free

OP
OP
Paula C Owens

Paula C Owens

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also remember that the evaporation will be noticed in the sump, not the display tank. the water in your return pump section will go down. that's why its vital to keep an eye on it you don't want your return pump running dry. Is your tank drilled (does it have holes in the back of the tank where plumbing runs through to get the water to and from the sump) or is it a syphon overflow (where the plumbing runs up over the top of the tank and relys on a syphon to keep water flowing to the sump). Basically when you turn off your return pump that sump should be able to hold all water the drains from your display tank, then when you turn your pump back on and mark a line on the return chamber of your sump. This line is the water line that you want to top off to. Anytime its lower that that top it off back up to the line but never go over it or you can have a flood if you ever loose power.

TY and yes it's a drilled tank

OP
OP
Paula C Owens

Paula C Owens

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I have a new ?????? This green algae mossy looking stuff is growing on the now passed away Kenya tree and the other coral we had. Is this good for the tank or bad for the tank??????

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

jaws789832

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's green Hair algae, a nuisance algae and considered bad. All algae plays a role of removing nutrients but some are just ugly and not wanted. Basically this means your nitrates and phosphates are high. At this point Water changes are the only thing that will get them lower. I suggest since you don't have corals anymore leave your lights off, and change the water as you would normally. then when you can get a test kit for nitrates and phosphates you can turn you lights back on when they are at an acceptable level

OP
OP
Paula C Owens

Paula C Owens

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's green Hair algae, a nuisance algae and considered bad. All algae plays a role of removing nutrients but some are just ugly and not wanted. Basically this means your nitrates and phosphates are high. Water changes are the only thing that will get them lower. I suggest since you don't have corals anymore leave your lights off, and change the water as you would normally. then when you can get a test kit for nitrates and phosphates you can turn you lights back on when they are at an acceptable level
TY will take
Them out right now!!!!! Do
Water change when hubby gets home today!!!

JaimeAdams

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Kenya tree is that picture isn't open but it isn't dead.

OP
OP
Paula C Owens

Paula C Owens

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Told hubby about my new question and ur answer jaws789832 and he said since its been said we shouldn't have kept the old sand what if we just start over with new sand and new saltwater and the original live rock. Tome that seems like more of a problem with cycling and waiting and stuff but idk. What r yalls opinions on my husbands idea??????

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do I get rid of the algae???
There are many people more experienced than I who may feel otherwise, but this is what I would do.

Nothing. You have no coral in the tank. You have a few very small fish in a huge tank. I would do absolutely nothing other than feeding your fish very lightly.

Right now the algae are a nuisance. However, they are also absorbing all of the excess nutrients from your tank. I would let them continue to do so. Every once in awhile just pull a bunch of the algae out. By removing the algae before it dies you will permanently remove those excess nutrients. You will know your nutrients are back in a good balance when the algae stops growing. At that point I would use Hydrogen Peroxide (yes, the stuff from Walmart) and use it to kill off any remaining hair algae.

OP
OP
Paula C Owens

Paula C Owens

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are many people more experienced than I who may feel otherwise, but this is what I would do.

Nothing. You have no coral in the tank. You have a few very small fish in a huge tank. I would do absolutely nothing other than feeding your fish very lightly.

Right now the algae are a nuisance. However, they are also absorbing all of the excess nutrients from your tank. I would let them continue to do so. Every once in awhile just pull a bunch of the algae out. By removing the algae before it dies you will permanently remove those excess nutrients. You will know your nutrients are back in a good balance when the algae stops growing. At that point I would use Hydrogen Peroxide (yes, the stuff from Walmart) and use it to kill off any remaining hair algae.

Ok will the peroxide not hurt the Ke ya tree and do I put the peroxide straight into the water or take the Kenya out and pour it on the rock/algae itself??? How much peroxide do I use??? Do I just pull the algae off with my hand???

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok will the peroxide not hurt the Ke ya tree and do I put the peroxide straight into the water or take the Kenya out and pour it on the rock/algae itself??? How much peroxide do I use??? Do I just pull the algae off with my hand???
I'm not sure if it will hurt a kenya tree. I'm also not sure the tree is still alive although I won't say it isn't.

For now, I would pull it out by hand. You may need to use a scrub brush to help release it. And there are plenty of ways to use H2O2. You can dose it into the tank. You can pull the rocks out in batches and dip them. You can pour it over the rocks after you pull them out. You will need to figure out what works best for you.

I think I've told you this before. Nothing good happens fast in this hobby. Only bad things happen fast, like the rate GHA can grow! I would take a few days while the algae is eating those extra nutrients to think about the best way to proceed and what will work best for you. And keep in mind, the more algae you have in the tank right now, the more nutrients it will pull from your water.

crush240

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what I would do. Goto your local fish store that sells premixed saltwater . Some make it with salt made just for reef tanks. Or they may have it right out of the ocean . Buy about 20% tank volume and change it out. Next week do the same thing on the same day. By the end of the month you should have roughly 100% of good water parameters in your tank. KEEP DOING THAT. My local fish store made his water with coral pro salt by Red Sea . Starting off that is all I did and because I had softies like you and what survived started to flourish after a couple of months . I now learned how to make my on water with my own RO/di and now have calcium reactor. Boy o boy! The key term I learned and am still learning is consistency! We have all been there. Totally sucks when you lose a piece[emoji17] but we all here can relate. Back off the tank a bit and buy some water that is appropriate for reef aquarium. Slowly. If you have a piece that died. Removed it. Cry . The MOVE ON. Be consistent with the appropriate water change. Learn how to make water at home. (It is really easy) then buy good test kits (I use Salifert) Learn why it is important to measure for alkalinity, calcium, magnesium, ph, salinity. The trick is to Don't keep coral. Don't keep fish. KEEP WATER. (Well to a certain extent) get the water parameters down. We all here love to chase our water parameter numbers like crazy. Some of the best tanks I've seen run a little dirty[emoji38] Good luck! And above all remember to HAVE FuN!!! Frustration and sadness leads to the dark side....we want crazy rainbow colors and affordable prices and good times[emoji106]

OP
OP
Paula C Owens

Paula C Owens

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TY
This is what I would do. Goto your local fish store that sells premixed saltwater . Some make it with salt made just for reef tanks. Or they may have it right out of the ocean . Buy about 20% tank volume and change it out. Next week do the same thing on the same day. By the end of the month you should have roughly 100% of good water parameters in your tank. KEEP DOING THAT. My local fish store made his water with coral pro salt by Red Sea . Starting off that is all I did and because I had softies like you and what survived started to flourish after a couple of months . I now learned how to make my on water with my own RO/di and now have calcium reactor. Boy o boy! The key term I learned and am still learning is consistency! We have all been there. Totally sucks when you lose a piece[emoji17] but we all here can relate. Back off the tank a bit and buy some water that is appropriate for reef aquarium. Slowly. If you have a piece that died. Removed it. Cry . The MOVE ON. Be consistent with the appropriate water change. Learn how to make water at home. (It is really easy) then buy good test kits (I use Salifert) Learn why it is important to measure for alkalinity, calcium, magnesium, ph, salinity. The trick is to Don't keep coral. Don't keep fish. KEEP WATER. (Well to a certain extent) get the water parameters down. We all here love to chase our water parameter numbers like crazy. Some of the best tanks I've seen run a little dirty[emoji38] Good luck! And above all remember to HAVE FuN!!! Frustration and sadness leads to the dark side....we want crazy rainbow colors and affordable prices and good times[emoji106]

TY!!!! Your words were very kind and very encouraging!!!!!! I appreciate it!!!!!!

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 42 20.8%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 148 73.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 4.5%
Back