Need ID. Unknown white crust and skin rot??

espinobj

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn’t quarantine properly. I’ll have to evaluate and see where I messed up.

However where I’m at now. I added this clown into my tank a week ago. I noticed it yesterday he has some weird growth on one side of his face. My Blue tang now has pits near his tail.
Can I get help with an ID so I can come up with a plan. In the mean time I’m trying to catch them to place in a QT.

10C41E61-0C92-41C7-BA0F-D8EE30E77312.jpeg 33CAA9D2-2EA6-40BC-BA50-53B6138834A9.jpeg A30AB4FD-D2FA-4C4F-835A-CC9DEFFC07AE.jpeg

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can quick, edit your title and add the prefix "emergency".

Fred2482

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you tell if it looks like brooklynella?

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a way to set up a hospital tank? First need to know if that can be done.

Also, what is your current tank size, other inhabitants and age of the system.

OP
OP
espinobj

espinobj

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a way to set up a hospital tank? First need to know if that can be done.

Also, what is your current tank size, other inhabitants and age of the system.
Yes I can had two clowns in it recently and took it down once their QT was over. Im mixing water now . Its only 30g. I have a 10g available as well if needed.

Inhabitants:
Yellow tang -2.5in
Blue tang -2in
Naso tang -2in
mandarin
3- blue green Chromis
Snowflake Clown - New a week ago
Perc Clown - New a week ago
2 cleaner shrim
1 pepermint shrimp
2 small conchs
1 brittle star
All have been in the tank and healthy for 6 months. Only death was a yellow watchman goby and I believe it was due to sand size, he was small the sand is a bit bigger. This was months ago.

Tank:
110 with 55sump apx 30g refugium TONS of pods

Parameters:
34PPm salt
8.3-8.2 PH
78 Temp

Tested on 7/21 as I just received the Hanna Phosphate checker.
0 ammonia (API & Seneye)
0.1 Phosphate (Hanna)
0 nitrate (API picking up a Red Sea tonight)
0 nitrite (API)

Tested on 7/3 (few corals just some zoas)
446 Calcium (Hanna)
10.1 Alk (Hanna)
1440 Mag (Red Sea)

OP
OP
espinobj

espinobj

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As to my QT I did 14 days @ 0.5 copper. Then right before going in the tank I did the two part "Safety Stop" dip with a RO rinse (about a min).

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to say for sure on id. I would take them out and at least do a antibiotic or methaline blue bath.

That is a lot of "tang" for a smaller tank. Even if they are currently small. So just the one clown showing signs after treating with copper? I worry about brooklynella too. Maybe @Big G will chime in soon.

OP
OP
espinobj

espinobj

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to say for sure on id. I would take them out and at least do a antibiotic or methaline blue bath.

That is a lot of "tang" for a smaller tank. Even if they are currently small. So just the one clown showing signs after treating with copper? I worry about brooklynella too. Maybe @Big G will chime in soon.
The plan is to upgrade to a 96” long once I come across one. Within the next year.

Both clowns were in QT together the Snowflake shows no signs. I went and grabbed a UV Sterilizer. I have both Metro cupermine and Paraguard. Do you have a suggestion on process or what to use. Stores are closed but I can grab something first thing in the morning.

OP
OP
espinobj

espinobj

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Photos Update. Still unsure what this is... These photos were of her during a FW dip. Shes now in QT with Paraguard and being fed Metro & focus soaked food. Any ideas or suggestions on what it is?

2020-07-25 10.24.33-1.jpg 2020-07-25 10.24.43-1.jpg 2020-07-25 10.25.11-1.jpg 2020-07-25 10.25.21-1.jpg 2020-07-25 10.25.25-1.jpg 2020-07-25 10.25.27-1.jpg 2020-07-25 10.25.35-1.jpg 2020-07-25 10.25.40.jpg 2020-07-25 10.25.40-1.jpg 2020-07-25 10.25.42-1.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Oodinum which is a form of ich. It is under the skin, not necessarily surface making it hard to battle but treatable.
Begin with freshwater bath for 3-5 minutes. My choice of treatment is a formalin bath but formalin is impossible to find. Ionic copper is the next best option. I will suggest a couple of others at bottom.
Oodinium is also sometimes mistaken for Brooklynella , as symptoms and disease progression are similar , In fact the only relatively easy to discern difference is the heavy amount of slime that is produced by Brooklynella usually starting near the gills.
Kanaplex, metroplex and Paraguard are good alternatives. They take time but do work. metro can also be placed in food. Once treatment is in progress, be sure to focus on water parameters. . . . especially ammonia and nitrites. Nitrates must be under 20 ppm to prevent cysts from reformng.
I personally have tried PraziPro with success but it is not the recommended treatment.

OP
OP
espinobj

espinobj

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oodinum which is a form of ich. It is under the skin, not necessarily surface making it hard to battle but treatable.
Begin with freshwater bath for 3-5 minutes. My choice of treatment is a formalin bath but formalin is impossible to find. Ionic copper is the next best option. I will suggest a couple of others at bottom.
Oodinium is also sometimes mistaken for Brooklynella , as symptoms and disease progression are similar , In fact the only relatively easy to discern difference is the heavy amount of slime that is produced by Brooklynella usually starting near the gills.
Kanaplex, metroplex and Paraguard are good alternatives. They take time but do work. metro can also be placed in food. Once treatment is in progress, be sure to focus on water parameters. . . . especially ammonia and nitrites. Nitrates must be under 20 ppm to prevent cysts from reformng.
I personally have tried PraziPro with success but it is not the recommended treatment.
Thank you so much.

Because I started Paraguard should I stick with it? Or would you suggest doing a 100% water change in the QT and switching to Copper?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Thank you so much.

Because I started Paraguard should I stick with it? Or would you suggest doing a 100% water change in the QT and switching to Copper?
Paraguard works slow but effective. I would personally change water (to maintain water quality, and of course NO carbon which removes paraguard). Give the fish a 5 minute freshwater bath assuring temperature is same as tank and restart treatment. If copper, use ionic , not chelated form which can be lethal.

Last edited:

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oodinum is velvet. I do think velvet may be at play here but it could also be an infection.

Trembz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Why must Nitrates remain under 20 ppm?

Back