Need some advice on copper in display

N.Sreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried a new LFS that recently opened up and they told me they run a constant level of copper in their fish set up. Is this okay for the fish or could it cause some sort of damage after long term exposure? I was hesitant to buy the fish after hearing some have been in copper for months.

mrlavalamp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Copper is a common treatment used to prevent and stop some fish diseases or parasites like ich.

Many local fish stores use copper to "suppress" the signs of infection and get the fish sold. no one wants to buy an "ichy" fish and so they use copper in that case specifically to hide it, especially in species like tangs that are ich prone.

This is one reason why you should never add water from a store/shipper to your own tanks when doing acclimation's and transfers. They could be treating with copper or any number of other things and you generally don't want their nasty water in your clean tanks.

Copper is more dangerous to inverts than fish, but there are some fish species sensitive to it so use caution and research.

OP
OP
N.Sreefer

N.Sreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Copper is a common treatment used to prevent and stop some fish diseases or parasites like ich.

Many local fish stores use copper to "suppress" the signs of infection and get the fish sold. no one wants to buy an "ichy" fish and so they use copper in that case specifically to hide it, especially in species like tangs that are ich prone.

This is one reason why you should never add water from a store/shipper to your own tanks when doing acclimation's and transfers. They could be treating with copper or any number of other things and you generally don't want their nasty water in your clean tanks.

Copper is more dangerous to inverts than fish, but there are some fish species sensitive to it so use caution and research.
So its not detrimental to the fish's health to have them in copper for extended periods?

OP
OP
N.Sreefer

N.Sreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what I'm concerned about

"Copper can be toxic to some sensitive fish species and is highly toxic to many invertebrate species. Even for more tolerant species, chronic copper use can damage gills, kidneys, spleens, and other organs and systems. Copper will depress the immune system. Copper can also damage the beneficial bacteria in the biofilter"

Does anyone know how long a tolerant fish can be run in copper before organ damage starts?

mrlavalamp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really cannot answer that but you will get a better answer when an expert comes along if you can include more information.

What fish exactly are you considering?

What level does the store maintain the copper at?

DaddyFish

“5 percenter”
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My personal rule of thumb is no fish, regardless of species, gets continuous therapeutic copper for more than 45-days. I have had some fish that required two copper treatments at different stages of life due to Velvet one time and Ich the next time, but I cannot say yet how much it may have shortened their life span. All three of them are still with me.

socalfishy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to own my own fish store. You have to understand the conditions. We do not keep fish long term, fish come in and they go out. When they are together with tons of other random fish a constant system with copper is maintained to keep everything together AT THE SHOP. long term copper is not good for any animals, but a pet store is seen like a big QT system for temporary housing not long term. There are some fish that should never see copper IMO, puffers with no scales and angel fish. best!

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 101 44.1%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 77 33.6%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 37 16.2%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 12 5.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.9%
Back