Need some feed back for a newbie

pavcio

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello guys . Need some help with my dilemma. I got marine ick in my 15g nano . Lost both clowns and orchid dottyback within few days.
Now I did setup Qt tank for next 3 fish I will get and going fishless in Dt tank for 8 weeks to starve but my watchman goby is still there and never been affected but ick been 3 weeks since breakout that killed all 3 fish . Are those don't get ick ? Will the ick strave with only him there?
corals and inverts doing great and I won't be putting anymore of those in that tank.

gentlefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank has to go fallow without your goby. Other than that you can not eliminate ick but rather “manage” ick. Odds are, once you introduce the new crew, they will become symptomatic with the usual mortality that you sadly experienced before.

Upvote 0

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would suggest not doing 3 fish at the same time. In order to completely remove ich you will need to remove and treat all fish. Before buying more you should also look into the fish a little more. All of the ones your have listed should be in larger tanks.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
P

pavcio

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank has to go fallow without your goby. Other than that you can not eliminate ick but rather “manage” ick. Odds are, once you introduce the new crew, they will become symptomatic with the usual mortality that you sadly experienced before.
Thank you very much for that will try to catch him my Qt is almost cycled. Guess untill he is out I can't count days of 6 weeks ick starving cycle. In Ontario is next to impossible to get copper based meds . Copper power is only one i am trying to get

Upvote 0

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Noob question - can ick kill fish that fast? I thought it was more of a slow decline.
Possibly. Stress is also a major factor. However usually the quick killers are brook and velvet.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
P

pavcio

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So many misleading info for newbies on YouTube.lol never expected to be that hard to keep couple of saltwater fish .lol . Have 8 advance freshwater tanks from 40 to 120 g been breading and selling african cichlids and discuss for years never had or sold infected fish . Very new to saltwater but not new to fish keeping ..wow

Upvote 0

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So many misleading info for newbies on YouTube.lol never expected to be that hard to keep couple of saltwater fish .lol . Have 8 advance freshwater tanks from 40 to 120 g been breading and selling african cichlids and discuss for years never had or sold infected fish . Very new to saltwater but not new to fish keeping ..wow
It doesn't have to be that difficult. There are many ways of keeping a tank that work. The issue is figuring out which way works for you and sticking with it. Quarantined systems are leading the charge these days. However there are many of us who don't run those systems. With your original fish dying quickly I would lean towards something other than ich, like the other post mentioned.

Upvote 0

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Smaller tanks will be more difficult. Small area means higher stress, easier parameter swings and a shortened list of fish you can keep. Make sure when buying fish they eat at the store. Check for any blemishes or visual issues before taking them home. If going fallow read some of the posts on here to help make the next attempt more successful.

Upvote 0

gentlefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you very much for that will try to catch him my Qt is almost cycled. Guess untill he is out I can't count days of 6 weeks ick starving cycle. In Ontario is next to impossible to get copper based meds . Copper power is only one i am trying to get
Some fish medications ship from the US into Ontario. Towards length of QT, also look up Jay Hemdal, he has some interesting data.

Upvote 0

gentlefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Noob question - can ick kill fish that fast? I thought it was more of a slow decline.
I have seen fatalities fast, it has been seen as a tank killer as well. As noted by Jekyl, we put a lot of stress on our fish moving them around in small jars. It does suppress the immune system.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
P

pavcio

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Smaller tanks will be more difficult. Small area means higher stress, easier parameter swings and a shortened list of fish you can keep. Make sure when buying fish they eat at the store. Check for any blemishes or visual issues before taking them home. If going fallow read some of the posts on here to help make the next attempt more successful.
Thanx Jekyll.. it took 6 days from moment I noticed first grain of salt on them started at head ..maybe it velvet ..it is in my main system with goby left ..cuc and corals doing great as pereside don't affect them ..I do agree with size same goes for my freshwater tanks easiest are my three 120 g to maintain presitne but for now I have to slove that issue and work with nano ..one day will go bigger ..as for LFS in Ontario it's been curb side pickup for months now so you get the bag with fair at the door.lol copper meds are restricted in Ontario as well ..waiting for copper power hopefully anyway now.. so I did setup my old 10 gal with light sponge filter heater bare bottom and pvc .used fritz turbo start with power amomia last week now waiting to cycle to finish.. as for stock I watch over 10 videos of that exact tank holding pair of clowns and firefish plus a goby successfuly so went by that ..

Upvote 0

gentlefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cupramine Amazon com?

Upvote 0

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO 4 fish in a 15 gallon is too much (especially with the dottyback) , the fish were likely very stressed, which brought on the ick.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
P

pavcio

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are right Jekyl after looking up on photos and description on forums it is velvet not ick what I got..big thanks
Questions that remain..how come goby is doing perfect and do I still need to take him out somehow for the starvation 8 week period .
He is there almost 3 weeks since this broke out doing great ..still a host for them or they can feed of him?

Upvote 0

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I help with what I can but know my limits. I've never had to deal with it before. I'd start a new thread asking for others opinions.

Upvote 0

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 24 22.4%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 77 72.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.7%
Back