Need some opinions on a hairline crack with pics

snooked321

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was drilling the fourth of five holes at the top back panel for a coast 2 coast on a 40 breeder and before I even finished drilling all the way through I felt what seemed to feel like a scratch. I finished the hole and it remained the same. It doesn't go through the glass, just feels like a scratch on one side. It travels up to the corner, about three inches. What do I need to do?

human

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Buy a new tank and start over, once you have water in there and pressure from powerheads that crack will grow.

ReeferEric

Resident Reef Junky
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah start over. I think Petco has the $1/g sale going on now.

I have to replace like 2 of them because of stuff I did after drilling. The glass is just too thin, make sure the box or whatever is supported. Very little effort needed to crack them once they are drilled.

ReeferBob

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO 40Bs are too thin to safely drill. Too thin to use if you do manage to get them drilled without breaking them. I can't sleep at night with just water in a 40B (look how much they deflect when full). My advise is to drill and use drilled at your own peril!

Isaac Alves

www.instagram.com/theloneaquarist/
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What could be done if there is a surface level scratch in low iron glass? Just curious. I've attached a pic.
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1452410689.354874.jpg

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 14 7.9%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 32 18.0%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 119 66.9%
  • Neither.

Votes: 7 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.4%
Back