nem help

stewy14

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
for those who have nems, when did u add them? my friend is giving me his Chicago sunburst, my tank is 3 months old, I told him to wait, but he has to get rid of his system. what can I do to speed up the process? figure out tank dosing? maintain good parameters? blah?

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Generally anything before 6 months maturity is bound for failure with nems, and a lot of folks would recommend waiting a year or more.

I'd say some mature live rock would increase your chances of maintaining the requisite stability and increasing your odds of success - any chance you can get some rock from him too? Even just to put it in the sump.

OP
OP
stewy14

stewy14

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Generally anything before 6 months maturity is bound for failure with nems, and a lot of folks would recommend waiting a year or more.

I'd say some mature live rock would increase your chances of maintaining the requisite stability and increasing your odds of success - any chance you can get some rock from him too? Even just to put it in the sump.
I can ask if he got live rock, I told him to wait off on the nem :D

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't take the nem on.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
for those who have nems, when did u add them? my friend is giving me his Chicago sunburst, my tank is 3 months old, I told him to wait, but he has to get rid of his system. what can I do to speed up the process? figure out tank dosing? maintain good parameters? blah?
Recommended is a tank of 4-6 months of age as anemones require stable conditions/parameters often not found in newer tanks which endure many changes. They dont even favor water changes which are more frequent with newer systems

Joe462

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
the amount of time doesn't matter, its just a matter of are your parameters stable, bacterial and live rock established? you have coral doing well, do you have fish that are healthy? if other fish, inverts, coral are struggling then your tank probably isn't ready. If the tank is ready its ready. They do take up a lot of space, and limit your coral placement as they will move around and sting your coral. Many people end up removing them later because they are taking over the tank or they have killed a lot of expensive coral.

AlyciaMarie

Where's my anemone?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I waited till over a year in before I got mine just to be on the safe side
Yeah, we didn't take ours on until a full year after we started cycling. It's thriving now. I definitely would recommend waiting a little while longer. You don't want to risk anything with something as beautiful as a Chicago Sunburst. :)

OP
OP
stewy14

stewy14

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recommended is a tank of 4-6 months of age as anemones require stable conditions/parameters often not found in newer tanks which endure many changes. They dont even favor water changes which are more frequent with newer systems
-6 months?
thats 1 month away :D
I got hair algae on floor and rock? should I just add snails to help? I hope its not diatom too, it appeared after I added light and used small amount of chemiclean
is that bad too?

OP
OP
stewy14

stewy14

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the amount of time doesn't matter, its just a matter of are your parameters stable, bacterial and live rock established? you have coral doing well, do you have fish that are healthy? if other fish, inverts, coral are struggling then your tank probably isn't ready. If the tank is ready its ready. They do take up a lot of space, and limit your coral placement as they will move around and sting your coral. Many people end up removing them later because they are taking over the tank or they have killed a lot of expensive coral.
everything is healthy :D
frogspawn is recovering after a little salinity and alk scare

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 5 7.1%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 29 41.4%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 35 50.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back