Nem invaded bubble coral ... needs eviction ASAP

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been down with Covid and I basically ignored my tank for two months. Generally speaking, bad things happened. I have a lot of window scrubbing to do. I got an invasion of cyano and bubble algae. I went after that with Chemiclean and a 20% water change. While I was dealing with that, I noticed that the size of my bubble coral had greatly diminished. (It sits in the back corner. out off flow ... I typically see the bubble tops from the front.) Upon investigating, I realized that a purple ice tip anemone had split off and rooted itself inside my bubble coral.
My bubble coral is not fairing well. I tried to get the sucker out and it just went inside. I tried jetting water directly at the nem with a narrow tip coral feeder, no joy. I fear that this thing is going to kill my most prized and sentimental coral. I've attached a picture with first morning light, no tank lights on yet.
PXL_20220709_121220198.jpg

Any ideas on how to evict this little squatter?

OP
OP
CMMorgan

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So basically break the bubble coral skeleton in two? (One section with the squatter nem and free the rest of the nem)

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So basically break the bubble coral skeleton in two? (One section with the squatter nem and free the rest of the nem)
Basically. That part of the bubble coral is probably dead at this point anyway and unlikely to ever recover.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I've been down with Covid and I basically ignored my tank for two months. Generally speaking, bad things happened. I have a lot of window scrubbing to do. I got an invasion of cyano and bubble algae. I went after that with Chemiclean and a 20% water change. While I was dealing with that, I noticed that the size of my bubble coral had greatly diminished. (It sits in the back corner. out off flow ... I typically see the bubble tops from the front.) Upon investigating, I realized that a purple ice tip anemone had split off and rooted itself inside my bubble coral.
My bubble coral is not fairing well. I tried to get the sucker out and it just went inside. I tried jetting water directly at the nem with a narrow tip coral feeder, no joy. I fear that this thing is going to kill my most prized and sentimental coral. I've attached a picture with first morning light, no tank lights on yet.
PXL_20220709_121220198.jpg

Any ideas on how to evict this little squatter?
Break section off or apply either flow at it in which it will move or place ice cube on it and it will release itself

OP
OP
CMMorgan

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After jetting our party crasher a dozen or so times with water right out of the freezer and placing some very enticing rubble nearby, we have an eviction. :) Thank you @vetteguy53081 for the creative solution. There appears to be some remaining flesh on the skeleton. Time will tell in that area recovers or not. Looks like I will need to do some rearranging to get the ever dividing nems away from the bubble. For now, I'll bathe the bubble in a bit more light and check my parameters. It turns out that I lost my hippo tang overnight, too. Oh the joys of being a reefer. Now I know why so many reefers are "reefers". As my daughter says, having a reef tank is great until it's not.
Thank you also to @Timfish and @blaxsun .

Attachments

• PXL_20220709_194556304.MP.jpg
    PXL_20220709_194556304.MP.jpg
    252.8 KB · Views: 50

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 142 43.0%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 117 35.5%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 50 15.2%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.5%
Back