Nero 3 Powerheads placement/schedule

corosato

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I Have recently set up a Red Sea Max E 170 45g(ish) tank, upgrading from my old Evo 13.5. In the Evo 13.5 I only kept soft corals and found the split return with Random Flow Generators plenty in that environment but I was never happy with the tank itself. I decided to just bite the bullet and upgrade to the largest tank I could comfortably fit in my Office and now that I have upgraded/moved everything over I am constantly second guessing my placement of Nero 3s. I have them both placed near the top on opposite ends of the tank facing each other mirroring each other. I found that anything over 30% random during the day seemed to cause all my soft corals and my new smaller LPS frags to just feel like they were being beat with flow. Does anyone with a similar sized Cube tank have any suggestions for flow rates? I have found a lot of older discussion on this but not new, and the flow rates being shared were like 85% which I feel would make more sense with larger Coral colonies not just starting out.

coralboi56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. If you have two powerheads, don't place them mirroring each other. That creates dead spots in the tank. You should place one low and one high.
2. If you don't like the flow, lower it
3. If you find flow is still too strong, take out one powerhead. Cube tanks are unique in that they're excellent at bouncing the flow current off of the sides of the tank.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 29 15.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 109 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.4%
Back