saltyponies

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi reef2reef!

I am starting a 32 gallon seahorse tank, and I plan on adding macroalgae instead of corals for that lush, planted look. I will be adding a pair of male seahorses (I wouldn't be able to take care of any babies!) My questions are:

1) When should I add the macroalgae? Before or after the tank is cycled?
2) Do you have favorite types of seahorse-safe macroalgae that would be particularly aesthetically pleasing?
3) Would this size be able to accommodate any other creatures? (fish, crabs, and/or scallops?)

Let me know what you think. Thank you!

Propane

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R. Go check out Alyssa’s seahorse savvy. Tons of info there as well.

OP
OP
saltyponies

saltyponies

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. After.
2. Not offhand.
3. Cleanup crew to be sure. I'd stick with seahorses and pipefish.
Thanks for responding! Is there a particular type of cleanup crew that would be recommended for this tank? I'm interested in flame scallops in particular.

OP
OP
saltyponies

saltyponies

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef! Can’t wait to see this tank!
Thanks so much! I have some local aquarium company helping me set this up since I am not a DIY person at all, but I don't want to overwhelm them with too many questions! I'll be sure to post the tank when it gets setup :)

LilElroyJetson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks so much! I have some local aquarium company helping me set this up since I am not a DIY person at all, but I don't want to overwhelm them with too many questions! I'll be sure to post the tank when it gets setup :)
You’re a paying customer. You ask as many questions as you like, just respectfully and concisely of course. ;) And everyone else on here too haha. Good luck!

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for responding! Is there a particular type of cleanup crew that would be recommended for this tank? I'm interested in flame scallops in particular.
Flame scallops can be hard to keep for long periods (beyond a few months), so just a head's up. Trochus snails, nassarius snails, spiny astrea snails, ring cowries, an orange conch and some small blue leg hermit crabs.

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also dream of a similar tank. If you go live rock, macros can go in immediately, probably even helpful.

I like Botrycladia. Green grape caulerpa as well if you're outside of CA. Caulerpa prolifera I'd advise against, as it just requires too much hands in tank for maintenance and can go sexual much easier. Codium is another great one. If going macro no reason not to get some dragon's breath for a beautiful look and nice tail anchor.

You might consider also gorgonians and sponges, particularly the branchy tree sponges. could even consider the non-photosyntheric gorgonians since feeding seahorse tanks can get a bit messy, which they like.

A bit of halimeda would also look nice and be a sturdier tail hold.

Honestly, I'd just go nuts on live-plants.com.

OP
OP
saltyponies

saltyponies

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flame scallops can be hard to keep for long periods (beyond a few months), so just a head's up. Trochus snails, nassarius snails, spiny astrea snails, ring cowries, an orange conch and some small blue leg hermit crabs.
So helpful, thank you! I think I'll start at Blue Hermit crabs and go up from there! The people at https://www.abcaquatic.com/ and Alyssa's Seahorse Savvy said I CAN have a pair of clownfish in this tank! So... I think the crabs, fish, seahorses, and all the algae should be pretty full, right?

OP
OP
saltyponies

saltyponies

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also dream of a similar tank. If you go live rock, macros can go in immediately, probably even helpful.

I like Botrycladia. Green grape caulerpa as well if you're outside of CA. Caulerpa prolifera I'd advise against, as it just requires too much hands in tank for maintenance and can go sexual much easier. Codium is another great one. If going macro no reason not to get some dragon's breath for a beautiful look and nice tail anchor.

You might consider also gorgonians and sponges, particularly the branchy tree sponges. could even consider the non-photosyntheric gorgonians since feeding seahorse tanks can get a bit messy, which they like.

A bit of halimeda would also look nice and be a sturdier tail hold.

Honestly, I'd just go nuts on live-plants.com.
Ohh smart!!! I'll look for those! And yes, will be using live rock!

I was going to buy the algae from seahorsesavvy.com since that's where I'm getting the seahorses at a later date, but I'll check out live-plants.com too!

Yes I had some branchy tree sponges in my cart since they look like they make great hitching posts! I also was looking at getting two of each: rooted pompoms, flat tops, sea grapes, red gracilaria, rooted shaving brush, and feather caulerpa! But I think I'll take your advice and avoid ones like caulerpa prolifera since they seem to hard for a beginner.

Also, an interesting thing to note about this tank is that I am a therapist and the tank will be in my therapy office! I have an at-home office in a separate unit so I can give them the care and attention they need every day. If you were going to your therapist office, wouldn't you think it would be cool to have a seahorse tank there?

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ohh smart!!! I'll look for those! And yes, will be using live rock!

I was going to buy the algae from seahorsesavvy.com since that's where I'm getting the seahorses at a later date, but I'll check out live-plants.com too!

Yes I had some branchy tree sponges in my cart since they look like they make great hitching posts! I also was looking at getting two of each: rooted pompoms, flat tops, sea grapes, red gracilaria, rooted shaving brush, and feather caulerpa! But I think I'll take your advice and avoid ones like caulerpa prolifera since they seem to hard for a beginner.

Also, an interesting thing to note about this tank is that I am a therapist and the tank will be in my therapy office! I have an at-home office in a separate unit so I can give them the care and attention they need every day. If you were going to your therapist office, wouldn't you think it would be cool to have a seahorse tank there?
I would imagine so. I find my office tank quite therapeutic!

Note about rooted shaving brush, in my experience it was hard to keep without a deeper sand bed. Mine kept falling over until I added more sand (which was independent of the shaving brush--I wanted to add ocean sand on top of the dry sand I had). Pencil cap, which is like a smaller version, worked better for me, until bubble algae smothered it (keep on top of bubble algae management).

Exciting!

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So helpful, thank you! I think I'll start at Blue Hermit crabs and go up from there! The people at https://www.abcaquatic.com/ and Alyssa's Seahorse Savvy said I CAN have a pair of clownfish in this tank! So... I think the crabs, fish, seahorses, and all the algae should be pretty full, right?
I can't speak to the clownfishes - just the crabs, seahorses and pipefish.

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been dreaming of a SH tank for years finally setting one up. the build out was really slow.
cycled the tank for 2.5 months.
just got a macro and gorg. order in from GCE yester day. i'll update my build thread and tag you.

be careful with Caulerpa macros they can take over your tank pretty easy. some like that look tho.
I debated if i wanted it in this tank or not ended up with the "cactus caulerpa "

love sponged too. but they can be difficult to keep in young tanks. i will wait 8-12 months or more before adding them.
however there are some pretty good fake ones out there I have thought about those for the back corners of the tank.

OP
OP
saltyponies

saltyponies

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally got my tank set up! It's cycling now. My macroalgae order is kind of delayed... And living in CA, I'm pretty limited in terms of which algaes are actually legal here :face-with-monocle:

1000002520.jpeg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 114 58.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.2%
Back