New 55g Setup/Is my filtration enough

toi_ss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, would having 4 fish (2 clowns, 1 hectors goby and a yellow coris wrasse) be alright in a 55 gallon?

For filtration im going to run a Seachem Tidal 110. I might consider usings a breeder box as a refugium but in my country I can only use ulva. I dont want to use a sump because of all the space, noise and costs and I don't want to run a hang on back skimmer because overflow/cost/noise. This tank will be in my bedroom so im trying to make it for the most part silent.

What would you reccomend for heaters and wavemakers. I have found the jebao scp-120 gyre but that might be too much or too little. My priority is noise control and cost. Im going to be keeping mainly lps with some soft corals.

Tank; (120x50x35cm)

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Multiple clown pairs don't work out. Do a bit of searching on the internet, the likely result is they will usually kill each other off until only 2 remain.

For filtration, you should be aware that rocks and flow are the main biofiltration on a salt tank. Mechanical filters such as hob filters provide some little benefit but not much really , and they require frequent cleaning or else they hold on to decomposing matter.

Without a protein skimmer, weekly water changes would be the main way to export waste.

And a skimmer also oxygenates the water, so without a skimmer, its important to point a powerhead at the water surface for agitation and oxygenation.

OP
OP
toi_ss

toi_ss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Multiple clown pairs don't work out. Do a bit of searching on the internet, the likely result is they will usually kill each other off until only 2 remain.

For filtration, you should be aware that rocks and flow are the main biofiltration on a salt tank. Mechanical filters such as hob filters provide some little benefit but not much really , and they require frequent cleaning or else they hold on to decomposing matter.

Without a protein skimmer, weekly water changes would be the main way to export waste.

And a skimmer also oxygenates the water, so without a skimmer, its important to point a powerhead at the water surface for agitation and oxygenation.
If you would read the start it says only 2 clownfish, also I was planning on having a gyre near the surface of the water for alot of surface agitation as well as 1 or 2 extra powerheads circulating the tank. I am planning for 10% weekly water changes too. Could I use a hang on back container like a breeder box but larger and make it a hang on back refugium for some nutrient export.

OP
OP
toi_ss

toi_ss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Actually I reckon Ill go witha 16 gallon diy sump, I have a 20 which I will use for a frag tank later on but I dont want to use it for a sump because it has middle bracing. Do you know if silicon would be good for installing acrylic baffles? I dont think I will use a skimmer at least not for now but I will have alot of surface agitation in the sump for oxygenation. I want to be able to view my display from top down so im going to avoid having a super turbulent display. I will run a sea lettuce refugium in the sump as well as filter floss/roller, carbon and some bio bricks.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%
Back