New Biota Yellow Tang - Fin nipping or something else?

Sambino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello R2R,

I just got this Biota Yellow Tang delivered yesterday and noticed right out of the bag that it had some fin damage. The dorsal and pelvic fins seem to be mostly affected as it looks to be a lot more transparent and a little lighter in color than the rest of the fins and the spines do not fully extend to the edge of the fins. Is it possible that this is just a case of fin nipping prior to shipping or does it look like something else?

IMG_1834.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hello R2R,

I just got this Biota Yellow Tang delivered yesterday and noticed right out of the bag that it had some fin damage. The dorsal and pelvic fins seem to be mostly affected as it looks to be a lot more transparent and a little lighter in color than the rest of the fins and the spines do not fully extend to the edge of the fins. Is it possible that this is just a case of fin nipping prior to shipping or does it look like something else?

IMG_1834.jpg
Often they do as they’re kept in tanks with several others and can also be net damage
Report it to shipper but often it grows back in

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You should report it to biota. With pictures - in case it worsens. I.e. - its not related to anything you did in all likelihood IMHO

OP
OP
S

Sambino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for your quick responses! I sent biota an email about the fins with a picture attached and they tell me that they are certain it is only fin nip damage and should heal quickly. I will be sure to post here and email Biota again if it seems like the problem gets any worse.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for your quick responses! I sent biota an email about the fins with a picture attached and they tell me that they are certain it is only fin nip damage and should heal quickly. I will be sure to post here and email Biota again if it seems like the problem gets any worse.
We've seen a couple of other cases of this - the fins have begun to regrow here, so shouldn't be a problem. I suspect it is from the way the tangs are raised, under pretty crowded conditions.

Jay

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 80 55.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.0%
Back