New Build Idea

corey.nolta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been tossing around the idea of starting a new custom build for a ~250 tank and not quite sure which route I want to take. I'm coming up on three years of having a salt water tank, and I feel I'm at the point of being comfortable purchasing more expensive livestock.

I have two dream fish that I have always wanted to own; Achilles Tang being number one and a Queen Angel being number two. Both of which would not work in my current 90 gallon tank (hence the new build). This is where I struggle with what to do...

I've been growing out my corals in my current 90 gallon. Granted non of them are show stoppers, but they are enough to make the tank look good. Now corals wouldn't be a problem with the Achilles, but would be asking for trouble with the Queen. So basically it's choosing between a coral filled tank or one of my dream fish. What would you do and why?

I'll be running a 50 gallon sump in the new build and could maybe modify part of it for a little "coral section", but is there really a point of doing that in a sump that won't be seen?

Let's hear some thoughts, concerns, ideas. Lay 'em on me!

Joeganja

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not just get one large tank and one smaller 50 gallon cube reef tank filled with all the corals you want? That's what I'm doing. I upgraded my 90 reef to a 135 fish only and moved all my coral into my 25 gallon IM lagoon and with that I also set up a 4.6 gallon for mushrooms. So I'll be able to have my majestic angel and naso tang in the same tank and not have to worry about anything.

OP
OP
corey.nolta

corey.nolta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thought about doing that, but I don't have the equipment or space to run numerous set ups.

ebushrow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Angels+Corals= No Corals...atleast generally...I wouldnt expect to see any clams or LPS after a few weeks IME

Joeganja

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's my conundrum. Choosing between coral and an angel

Here's what might happen. You'll get an angel and after a while nothing new really happens like with reef tanks where something is always going on. In a fish only your stuck with fish and because there's angels you can't have any invertebrates. I would do reef just because 250 gallons you can do so much and make it look so nice.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could always leave a panel off the sump door that exposes a portion of the sump that is set up as a coral tank.

IMG_1830_zpsp7xbh5jm.jpg

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I faced the same issue of wanting fish that are not always safe with coral. My solution is my current multi tank system project that allows me to keep both in separate tanks that are tied into a single system.

garethwood

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how big a tank are you able to do? ive seen on a thread before where someone had a tank split front to back.. the rear section had lr and coral and the front half housed the non reef safe fish : ) the tank was huge but the effect was great!

OP
OP
corey.nolta

corey.nolta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@redfishbluefish - that's a neat idea. I might have to look into that and see if it would work out for the concept I have for the stand.

@AlexG - I contemplated a stacked or multi tank set up, I just don't have the room for that kind of setup unfortunately.

@garethwood - I'm looking at doing roughly 250 gallons. So by splitting it in half it wouldn't be sufficient for the two types of fish I'd love to get (Achilles tang and a queen angel)

OP
OP
corey.nolta

corey.nolta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The nice thing with having two dream fish, I COULD sacrifice the Queen angel and go with just the Achilles and still be able to have a reef tank...that's probably what will end up happening.

....as long as I can convince the ol' ball and chain that is ;)

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 22.6%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 34.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.9%
Back