New Build Red Sea Reefer Nano 21

brett_schn

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saved the files too, if you don't mind. I have a new max nano with the same lights and this way I'll have a starting point :)

Don’t thank me. Thank the guy over on r2r who made this app. Be aware that is really powerful. Make sure to set it on acclimation mode for a month on 30%

OP
OP
Tiger-Paws

Tiger-Paws

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As you can see I moved the IceCap 3K to the vertical position in the rear of the tank. The sand seems to be staying put but the I have the speed on constant at only 10% power, every other setting has a minimum of 20% power.

I will be eveulating the current position for a few days, I am trying to keep the pump towards the rear of the tank but utimetaly the final position will be determined by the flow pattern and sand movement.

I received the CoralVue Reef Octopus BH50 HOB Protein Skimmer today ($134.99 from Amazon), I selected this unit because of Reef Octopus's reputation and the numerous positive reviews on YouTube, this forum and various other on-line sources.

Additionall I received several 100 and 200 micron aftermarket filter socks, they were not an exact fit of the Res Sea as the plastic coller is sightly larger and the fact that Red Sea molds the sock to the to the plactic frame. Well nothing that brute force and ignorance could not fix ;Rage.

Red Sea Nano 28 10- 7-15-17.jpg

Red Sea Nano 28 11- 7-15-17.jpg

OP
OP
Tiger-Paws

Tiger-Paws

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been moving the IceCap 3K around a bit and wound up back in the corner, except this time I tried to move the water horizontally along the back of the tank (left to right). Judging from the particles stirred up i water column the flow seems excellent and the sand is staying in place.

Red Sea Nano 28 10- 7-15-17.jpg

Red Sea Nano 28 11- 7-15-17.jpg

OP
OP
Tiger-Paws

Tiger-Paws

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I installed the Reef Octopus BH50 Nano Skimmer this afternoon..... I am NOT happy with the directions, more like total lack of directions, a person should not need to search YouTube for information. Yes I understand it is pretty simple piece of equipment, still for $124.99 I expect better.

This is the second piece of what is supposed to be high quality equipment that came with poor instructions. Has anyone else found this to be the case in this industry?

There is a great deal of room for improvement among the manufacturers.

dexterie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I installed the Reef Octopus BH50 Nano Skimmer this afternoon..... I am NOT happy with the directions, more like total lack of directions, a person should not need to search YouTube for information. Yes I understand it is pretty simple piece of equipment, still for $124.99 I expect better.

This is the second piece of what is supposed to be high quality equipment that came with poor instructions. Has anyone else found this to be the case in this industry?

There is a great deal of room for improvement among the manufacturers.
I have the same impression. It's like they add directions for someone who already knows who knows what they're doing.
As a newcomer, I find things something hard to follow. The RO water kit I got had no instructions (I had to test the water to know which one was the good and which one was the bad); same happened to other stuff (including the tank itself).
Now I read them again and I sort of know what they mean, but they should be more careful. No everybody is a pro or has the patience to check YouTube and the web to learn how to use their products. I can imagine someone starting in the aqua world and giving up because they set something wrong and got bad results...

OP
OP
Tiger-Paws

Tiger-Paws

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I am not a total n00b at this it has been 10 years, still I wrote Coralvue and expressed my dissatisfaction.

If we as a reefing community write, call, e-mail and demand changes the manufactures will respond as sales decline because all it takes is one of their competitors to listen and change. But is we simply put up with things like this then nothing will change.

OP
OP
Tiger-Paws

Tiger-Paws

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef Octopus BH50 Nano Skimmer is fully broken in and working, tuning it to my system is all that is left to do.

Now the L-O-N-G wait begins before I can add anything ...... :(

OP
OP
Tiger-Paws

Tiger-Paws

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After 2 days with the Reef Octopus BH50 Nano Skimmer I am STILL NOT with it. It is difficult to adjust and while I thought the external pump issue several reviews spoke about might be overblown, they are NOT!

I will give this unit until Friday, then if it is still not to my likeling I will try return it to Amazon and another brand.

OP
OP
Tiger-Paws

Tiger-Paws

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I could not tolerate the Skimmer, sending it back tomorrow.

Anyone know anything about the AquaMaxx WS-1 In-Sump Protein Skimmer?

JaaxReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would look at the Tunze 9001 or 9004 models if I were you. I haven't heard anything negative about them for smaller tanks. Just another option to consider.

Best Regards

OP
OP
Tiger-Paws

Tiger-Paws

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would look at the Tunze 9001 or 9004 models if I were you. I haven't heard anything negative about them for smaller tanks. Just another option to consider.

Best Regards
Thank you, I have looked at them, the issue is that they are magnetically held in place and I do not have the room between the sump and the cabnet to get the magnet in-between.

JaaxReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got it! I had no idea that was how they worked.
Good to know!

OP
OP
Tiger-Paws

Tiger-Paws

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 13, time for an update......

Sent the Reef Octopus Classic 110 INT Protein Skimmer back, after a great deal of research and thought, I purchased an IceCap K2-50 Protein Skimmer for $124.99 from Amazon which should be in my hands tomorrow (Friday 07-28). I also returned the IceCap 3K Gyre Generation Aquarium Flow Pump, frankly it was too much pump for an 18"x18"x18" square tank.

I purchased a Aqamai KPS Wifi Controllable Wavemaker Pump for $94.99 from Marine Depot (after a $25.00 dollar discount), additionally I picked up the BRS GFO & Carbon Reactor - Deluxe with MJ1200 Pump for $68.51 dollars after discounts.

After starting with Dry Rock, I decided to add a few of pounds of Live Rock from a local LFS, I picked up 5 hand size pieces with good Coralline Algae growth, I am hoping to get a better kickstart on cycling the tank.

Beyond all of that the tank is cloudy with a white slime on the glass and a lot of suspended Bacteria in the water column.

Nitrites are just above zero and Phosphate is near zero.....

I REALLY dislike the WAITING!:(

Oh! Well! I still have to figure something out about a screen top :cool:

Last edited:

the_reef_keeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank looks great and is really coming together! I look forward to seeing you future livestock additions!

OP
OP
Tiger-Paws

Tiger-Paws

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The IceCap K2-50 Protein Skimmer arrived and I must say that I am impressed with one exception (more on that in a moment), I have included a few images from the box, the simple assembly instructions, instillation and operating image.

Bone to pick with the design team at Coralvue, the bubble adjustment knob needs a better connection to the actual adjustment bolt, it is held in place by friction alone, adding an o-ring would vastly improve this design flaw. I know it is a minor issue but as a product design engineer for 40 years believe me it is the little things that make a product great verses simply good enough. On a 1 to 5 sacle I give them a 4.5 because of this, otherwise the Skimmer is silent and well designed.

Now of course comes the break-in peroid :(..... More waiting ....
IceCap K2-50 Skimmer Box.jpg
IceCap K2-50 Skimmer Manual 1.jpg
20170728_140012.jpg
20170728_140928.jpg

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 39 19.7%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 147 74.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 4.5%
Back