New Carbon dosing, tutorial

cmoore806

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi.

I setup a 20g long for a coral and invert QT. I have TM all for reef on a dosing pump. Bare bottom with the live rock from my first and old display tank. Installed an Aquamaxx in tank small reactor with biopellets last week.

My first tank picked up bryopsis which I seem to have wiped out over two weeks with fluconazole with it being in the QT tank now. My thinking is that the phosphate was elevated after wiping out a lot of bryopsis algae in there.

This QT will serve my main display which for now is a one month old 40breeder setup with dry rock just waiting for fish and coral QTs to wrap up.

questions:

1. Is there a comprehensive guide or tutorial for carbon dosing?
2. Should I use the tropic Marin products in addition to biopellets? I have the TM carbon dosing products and have been putting small dose of ElimNP in because my phos was 0.15 and today 0.22.
3. I bought a small HOB skimmer that I’ll have online next week, should assist in the elimination game

image.jpg

SDK

Reef Diver
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My understanding of the products is that you do not use the ElimNP until you reach your desired levels of NO3 and PO4. Then use the ElimNP as part of a maintenance program.

The ElimNP is a carbon source but it also has PO4 in it. The point being to help you keep a low level without bottoming out like you can with NoPox for example.

There is plenty of searchable information on carbon dosing here, so you should be able to find what you are looking for. Post up your NO3 levels as you may get better advice depending on where that is. PO4 and NO3 have to both be taken into consideration when coming up with a plan to lower either…

OP
OP
cmoore806

cmoore806

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My understanding of the products is that you do not use the ElimNP until you reach your desired levels of NO3 and PO4. Then use the ElimNP as part of a maintenance program.

The ElimNP is a carbon source but it also has PO4 in it. The point being to help you keep a low level without bottoming out like you can with NoPox for example.

There is plenty of searchable information on carbon dosing here, so you should be able to find what you are looking for. Post up your NO3 levels as you may get better advice depending on where that is. PO4 and NO3 have to both be taken into consideration when coming up with a plan to lower either…
No the elimNP is to lower the phos. The bacto balance is when the phos is 0.03-0.1

pH 8.3
8.9 dKh
NO3 is 5

SDK

Reef Diver
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My bad then. I use the TM ElimaPhos so there are apparently 3 TM phos products. I lose track sometimes.

Looking at the product it sounds like you are on track. Dose the ElimNP until you are at your proper level and switch to the balance product.

Since your NO3 is already in a good place, you might want to consider using the ElimiPhos briefly once you get the skimmer running. It is just LaCl without a carbon source, so it will quickly reduce your PO4 without further affecting your NO3.

OP
OP
cmoore806

cmoore806

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My bad then. I use the TM ElimaPhos so there are apparently 3 TM phos products. I lose track sometimes.

Looking at the product it sounds like you are on track. Dose the ElimNP until you are at your proper level and switch to the balance product.

Since your NO3 is already in a good place, you might want to consider using the ElimiPhos briefly once you get the skimmer running. It is just NACL without a carbon source, so it will quickly reduce your PO4 without further affecting your NO3.
I think after reading my instructions on the elimNP I’m outside the 10:1 ratio so I will dose the brightwell phos-e I have on hand.

SDK

Reef Diver
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like a good idea. Assuming that the Brightwell product is just a different brand of NaCl.

If you go eventually go with the Bacto Balance, post back with your thoughts when you get a few months under your belt. I am considering trying it with a spare dosing head…

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 37 23.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 33.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 30.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back