New clownfish possibly dying

newreefer995

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought 2 clownfish at my lfs Thursday and they were both fine swimming normally and eating at the fish store. When I got them home I drip acclimated(not for sure if that was a mistake) them. The one in question has been just wanting to stay in one spot then he started swimming very badly. The other clownfish is acting 100% fine and my water parameters are good 0 ammonia 0 nitrites. I have had the tank cycling for around 8 weeks. I’m just wondering if it sounds diseased or if I did something wrong.

Attachments

• IMG_6561.mov
    24.3 MB
  • IMG_6560.mov
    49.5 MB

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought 2 clownfish at my lfs Thursday and they were both fine swimming normally and eating at the fish store. When I got them home I drip acclimated(not for sure if that was a mistake) them. The one in question has been just wanting to stay in one spot then he started swimming very badly. The other clownfish is acting 100% fine and my water parameters are good 0 ammonia 0 nitrites. I have had the tank cycling for around 8 weeks. I’m just wondering if it sounds diseased or if I did something wrong.

Welcome to Reef2Reef!

Sorry, I've been off sick and am just seeing this. Your little clown seems to be actively dying. It may well have passed by now. You should contact your LFS to ask if they have had any issues with their fish. You have not had it long enough for it to have developed a disease in your tank.

You should also determine what salinity the fish was in at the LFS versus your tank. Watch for rises in salinity, small fish have difficult adjusting to those.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear that. It's an unfortunate reality in this hobby. To ensure this doesn't happen again introducing a good quarantine method might be a good idea.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 30 21.6%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 101 72.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.3%
Back