New clowns getting bullied

hydroskillet

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey All - So I bought a small pair of clowns (Black Storm / Mocha Storm) and ALL the other fish hate them.

I have a 60 cube with a very small Hippo, a Green Chromis, and a Royal Gamma. So not a lot of live stock. The gamma, hippo tang, and chromis are all about the same size and the clowns are much smaller (like minnow small).

The Gamma is a jerk to all the fish but he's literally all bark and no bite. The blue tang and chromis appear to be best friends and always swim side by side, and where the gamma just opens his mouth and does his jerk thing the tang and chromis are actually nipping at these clowns.

It's only been about 2 days, but I really don't want these babies to die.

I'm probably going to try and catch the Chromis, but he's the fastest fish alive and reallllllly do not want to pull my whole reef apart just to catch this guy. Feeding seems to get him to calm down for about 30 min to an hour which isn't a great solution. The Tang seems to be much less aggressive.

Any ideas? Rather not ditch 2 fish for 2 fish and these clowns I've been wanting since I stood this 60gal up.

John Bolden

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have a tubba wear poke holes in it smaller than the fish and put the clowns in it. The tubba wear has to be semi to clear so the other fish can see them. This will give them to become friends. Leave them in there for about a week and if the fish still don't like them I would give them back for new ones if you can.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hippo tang should be in a tank twice that size. Could try using an acclimation box until things settle down.

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey All - So I bought a small pair of clowns (Black Storm / Mocha Storm) and ALL the other fish hate them.

I have a 60 cube with a very small Hippo, a Green Chromis, and a Royal Gamma. So not a lot of live stock. The gamma, hippo tang, and chromis are all about the same size and the clowns are much smaller (like minnow small).

The Gamma is a jerk to all the fish but he's literally all bark and no bite. The blue tang and chromis appear to be best friends and always swim side by side, and where the gamma just opens his mouth and does his jerk thing the tang and chromis are actually nipping at these clowns.

It's only been about 2 days, but I really don't want these babies to die.

I'm probably going to try and catch the Chromis, but he's the fastest fish alive and reallllllly do not want to pull my whole reef apart just to catch this guy. Feeding seems to get him to calm down for about 30 min to an hour which isn't a great solution. The Tang seems to be much less aggressive.

Any ideas? Rather not ditch 2 fish for 2 fish and these clowns I've been wanting since I stood this 60gal up.
I guess it is just fish personalities, and you have to decide on one of a few options:
1. Remove a certain number of fish. You can return the two clowns and get two larger ones, which could help them defend against bullying. That or remove the chromis (and tang?). If you need to remove fish, a relatively effective method is to wake up at 4am, go to your tank room, turn on all lights, and catch the fish while they are still dazed in a stupor.
2. Get something like a breeder box to temporarily house the clownfish in the same tank and allow the tang and chromis to get used to them. Does not guarantee that when the clownfish are released out of it though, that things will be fine.
3. Let things be and hope for the best... which it probably won't be the case.

OP
OP
hydroskillet

hydroskillet

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree on Tang / tank size. He's only in there until my 120gal that froze last month is done with it's cycle, which could be a bit.

OP
OP
hydroskillet

hydroskillet

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plan A in photo :) .... if anything the shrimp in the trap is keeping their mind off the clowns lol. I'll try to snag the Chromis tomorrow very early if this doesn't work.

BTW I don't know who said Chromis were peaceful, but they were WRONG.

Attachments

• trap.JPG
    trap.JPG
    126.4 KB · Views: 35

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 75 35.0%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 58 27.1%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 66 30.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 3.7%
Back