New Clowns Ich! Separate quarantine?

clownhelp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, been reading a lot on this site, love all the great content!

I recently got into saltwater, and started off with a 30 gallon tank. I started with dry life rock and dry sand. Cycled for a month and added 2 small clowns a week ago.

I was originally going to quarantine them, but I got into reading about no quarantine systems on here where you feed good live and frozen food and that the fish take care of themselves through good immune systems. I decided to go that route, but I’m kind of thinking it won’t work for me since it’s such a new tank.

I just noticed what looks like ich on one of my clowns a few days ago. They are both doing well though, the one with ich eats everything I give him multiple times a day (mysis, and pellets, some seaweed). He doesn’t let the other one eat as much and bullies it a lot into hiding, but I think the one with ich is going to be the dominant female so it should be fine.

should I go ahead and set up a quarantine, I have some cycled media I can put in and cycle for a week with some extra bacteria. Will the fish be fine with ich for a week while the tank quarantines.

I ordered copper online, but it’s gonna be a week or 2 before I can get it. I can get malachite green medication here immediately though.

Also, I fear that the more dominant clown will kill the other one out of stress in a smaller 10 gallon quarantine, would it be ok to put in a separator in the quarantine and let both relax and flatten them up separately? Or should I let them be together. The less dominant one always does the Best dance for him when he attacks it.

Also, would it be ok to quarantine a watchman goby with the clowns, I was thinking of adding one in a couple weeks before I noticed the ich.

thank you!

Back