wvfeefkeeper80

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got my first clam. I tried to be wise and started testing for magnesium in addition to all other important parameters like calcium, phosphates and alkalinity. Levels are ideal.
Placed clam at bottom of Fluval 32.5 marine, medium flow. Day one open but nervous. Question or best tips/tricks for successful care?

0E43DAFE-D334-4C2D-9511-ACEC951DBBFF.jpeg

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the clam on a solid mount? They make clam mounts that lets the clam attach to it.

Small clams either thrive or die. I have had best luck with 6 to 8 inch clams.

OP
OP
wvfeefkeeper80

wvfeefkeeper80

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the clam on a solid mount? They make clam mounts that lets the clam attach to it.

Small clams either thrive or die. I have had best luck with 6 to 8 inch clams.
I made a rock formation to cradle it so it would attach.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Give it moderate light and water flow
Salinity not to exceed 1.026
Ca not to exceed 450
Alk not to exceed 9
temp not to exceed 80

Add phyto occasionally
inspect periodically for pyramid snails

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have a Squamosa. This species does not/very weak attachment. I would not worry about it. Use an oyster shell or a relatively flat piece of rock is OK. I just put Squamosa, and all of my clams in the sand.
I hope he opens a lot more than in that picture. If that is all he open, he will likely not live for long.
Should open like this, my Blue Squamosa. The other clam, the yellow one, is a tiny Gigas
Clam2019071205GigasSquamosaResized.jpg

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have a flat piece, let it attach to that. They need to be able to open all the way.

Tom Giddens

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have a Squamosa. This species does not/very weak attachment. I would not worry about it. Use an oyster shell or a relatively flat piece of rock is OK. I just put Squamosa, and all of my clams in the sand.
I hope he opens a lot more than in that picture. If that is all he open, he will likely not live for long.
Should open like this, my Blue Squamosa. The other clam, the yellow one, is a tiny Gigas
Clam2019071205GigasSquamosaResized.jpg
I see you talking about clams,I always have trouble with them.Have you had long term success, like 2 years plus? I need a clam mentor. I get them and they look good and then between 10 months and 2 years I will look in the tank and one will start to gape and then over the next few days start to seperate from the shell and die. I test the water oce a week and change about 25% water every 2 weeks. I dont know what I am doing wrong. and I know it could be anything. Any isight would be great.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That little guy needs to open to get some light. I would personally look it over well for any parasitic snails. Do this at night after lights off for an hour or so. Then place directly on sand. These guys can grow fast and will not attach strongly as OrionN stated.
All my clams have sat in cradles (sometimes acrylic plates) during qt and on the sand in my main dt.
good luck!

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 85 44.7%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 65 34.2%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 26 13.7%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 12 6.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%
Back