New Fish QT

nlutfi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for some info on best way to set up a QT when adding a new fish. My current tank is a 60g cube and is parasite free. I battled velvet when starting the tank about 7 months ago, adding fish with out QT. I went through emergency hospital tank and lost a few fish in the process and went fallow to rid the tank. Everything has been running smoothly for now but have wanted to add a fish or 2 more but have been hesitant without QT. I have a 10g tank, HOB filter, heater, air stone, and a small light. I would like to start with just doing the observation method, maybe for 3-4 weeks? I would like to be able to set it up and tear it down as needed and not have it up running all the time. What is the best method for going about it? And whats the best method for maintain it during the QT process. Thanks in advance!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
heater, water flow, a few rocks and tubes for hiding, and basic filtration ( even hang on back unit sufficient)

OP
OP
nlutfi

nlutfi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should of also asked whats the best way to set it up quickly. Is it possible to see a fish at the lfs, bring it home and set the qt up? Or set up QT a week/month? ahead of time then get fish?

PPPPPP42

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been told it’s possible but difficult to be both acclimating the fish and setting up the tank at the same time since it can’t sit in the bag forever.
You would need fully salt mixed and heated water on hand at the least I would think ideally with the temp and salinity correct for sure and other specs if possible matched to what the lfs runs.
I have mixed water stored in sealed buckets and if I had a qt tank I would toss the heater and circulation pump I use for water changes in there ahead of time, (It really needs to circulate to heat correctly).
Also I’ve been told that certain types of rocks absorb the meds you would be running so pvc tube is better as a fish hiding spot.

OP
OP
nlutfi

nlutfi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been told it’s possible but difficult to be both acclimating the fish and setting up the tank at the same time since it can’t sit in the bag forever.
You would need fully salt mixed and heated water on hand at the least I would think ideally with the temp and salinity correct for sure and other specs if possible matched to what the lfs runs.
I have mixed water stored in sealed buckets and if I had a qt tank I would toss the heater and circulation pump I use for water changes in there ahead of time, (It really needs to circulate to heat correctly).
Also I’ve been told that certain types of rocks absorb the meds you would be running so pvc tube is better as a fish hiding spot.
I definitely don't need to set it up same day, but what's the best time line to do so? A week? Month? And what's the best way to set it up in that time? New saltwater? Current tank water? It will probably only hold 1-2 fish max at a time.

PPPPPP42

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not an expert at all but you shouldn’t need a cycled tank just for quarantine unless you plan to buy a lot and leave it up permanently. Or are one of the people that does super long quarantines.
I would think that enough time to get any specs that are way off in your freshly mixed water would be enough. There’s a lot of stuff fish don’t really care about and so won’t matter for a qt tank but I’m not experienced enough to tell you what’s important.
If you want a rush quarantine tank that matches your main tank do a water change and pump the water into the qt tank instead of down the drain. You would still at least need salt mixed water on hand and enough time to heat it.

OP
OP
nlutfi

nlutfi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've read people keep a piece of sponge of filter in their main tank and put it in the qt when ready to help with the biological filter? What's the best media for this?

SteveEreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would also suggest getting a seachem ammonia alert for the tank. I personally set up my QT a week before I get the fish. I seed it with a sponge that has been my my display for a couple of months. I pour in Dr Tim’s or Biospira for some bacteria. I do weekly water changes.

OP
OP
nlutfi

nlutfi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would also suggest getting a seachem ammonia alert for the tank. I personally set up my QT a week before I get the fish. I seed it with a sponge that has been my my display for a couple of months. I pour in Dr Tim’s or Biospira for some bacteria. I do weekly water changes.
Thank you! I do have a seachem ammonia alert also I just got a seneye for the par meter I figured I could use for ammonia as well. What kind of sponge do you use? Also do you treat fish right away or watch and treat if needed?

h2so4hurts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you do tank transfer for new fish you don't need anything special. Two tubs, Two heaters, a bunch of airstones/airline (Throw these away at every transfer) and just use tank water to set up the tubs at every transfer (let all your equipment dry 48hrs). Because I'm extra paranoid I also treat with chloroquine phosphate (sold as ick shield from New Life Spectrum - 1 scoop per 20 gal). So 12 days of tank transfer, transfer the fish to a different tub, different heater, new airstones/airhose every 2 days, dose chloroquine for 6 cycles. This prevents the re colonozation of your fish with anything that has a life cycle...Crypto, Velvet, Brook and the chloroquin phosphate also kills all of those things so it's a double whammy. Have some pimafix and melafix around if you see your fish developing any bacterial/fungal infections. I also treat with API general cure (Praziquantel and metronidazole) for the first two transfers to get rid of any internal or external parasites (flukes, wroms, etc). Technically you should then observe in another tank for 2 weeks, but if you did this right there's really no reason to.

litenyaup

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Red Sea, and bio cube all in ones for qt. The Red Sea has a built in skimmer and is excellent. Super fast to start up and empty out when complete. I so far have had very good luck and only lost 1 fish out of 10 in qt to bacterial infection. Water changes when needed and monitoring ammonia is big. Make sure you have nice clean water, and i put pvc pipe in for hiding places. Keep it as simple as possible.

SteveEreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a sponge I use a piece of filter floss. I do treat the fish right way. Copper power for 14 days and feed general cure with focus and selcon. I would look at Hotrocks thread on QT if you have not already

Robink

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep an extra sponge in my display sump. When I set up the qt tank I put the sponge in the hang on filter. This is after I've added the water and allowed time for the salt to mix.
I add ro/di water to adjust the salt level to whatever the level is from the lfs or online vendor.
I also add seachem stability for the first week.
Get an ammonia badge.
I observe and treat if anything shows up, and I feed food with metro/focus for possible internal parasites.

OP
OP
nlutfi

nlutfi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you everyone! My lfs does Qt their fish very well so I'm thinking of just an observation tank to start and treat if needed from there. I will do what everyone says next time I add a fish and see how it goes. What is a good period to observe? 2-4 weeks I was thinking. Thanks again!

Last edited:

Willvi100

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've read people keep a piece of sponge of filter in their main tank and put it in the qt when ready to help with the biological filter? What's the best media for this?
They are called bacto-sponges , price around $10 on Amazon or eBay . They will help with bacteria and reduce ammonia. Note : you will need a couple of air pumps and 1/4 inch tubing .

87EF1BCA-9CB3-4E91-A339-17D4248CC036.jpeg

Last edited:

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 15 34.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 14.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 14 32.6%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 7 16.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.3%

Back