New Fish Recommendation Needed

CoralCollector32

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for a new addition to my tank. A reef safe fish that is compatible with my current fish and corals. The more color the better. Give me some suggestions on what you think would fit in great in my tank.

Tank:
Red Sea Reefer 170 (24.5 x 20 x 20)
30 lbs of live rock
Tank been running for 1.5 years
pH: 8.2
Temp: 77°F
NH4: 0ppm
NO2: 0ppm
NO3: <1ppm
Ca: 430ppm
Alk: 9 dkh
Mg: 1300ppm
Sg: 1.026

Current Livestock:
Chalk basslet md.
Six line wrasse md.
2 ocellaris clowns sm.
Mandarin dragonet md.
Lps and soft corals

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be aware that sixline may promote problems for both newcomers and also as pod competition to your mandarin, hopefully you have a good size fuge, but the two in that tank may not work long term, and honestly I'd pull the sixline to avoid issues and give yourself some freedom of choice, because he's probably not going to like newcomers in that size tank.
Otherwise I'd suggest royal gramma or tailspot blenny for that size tank

OP
OP
C

CoralCollector32

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be aware that sixline may promote problems for both newcomers and also as pod competition to your mandarin, hopefully you have a good size fuge, but the two in that tank may not work long term, and honestly I'd pull the sixline to avoid issues and give yourself some freedom of choice, because he's probably not going to like newcomers in that size tank.
Otherwise I'd suggest royal gramma or tailspot blenny for that size tank

All of the fish eat pellets, including the dragonet and I mix in mysis too. The six line is pretty passive and was bullied badly by a spotted hawkfish that I just sold. I know what you mean about them being aggressive but mine keeps to itself so far. Royal gramma wouldn't get along with my basslet and I'll definitely look into the tail spot blenny. Thanks.

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, just know that a mandarin eats about 1-3 pods per minute, they have a very high metabolism, so even though it is eating for you, you would have to replicate it's feeding habits to that amount and that often for long term success, your tank at that size is actually below bare minimum size recommendation for a mandarin if you had enough LR and a fuge, and 0 pod competition.
As for the sixline, someone was kicking his but in line, that boss is now gone, sixline is now able to do the bossing, and while there are exceptions to the rules, typical outcome is they are bullies, especially in small quarters

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The advice given is sound. Sixlines are notorious for becoming aggressive, even in many cases were they started out well-behaved.

Sixlines are also well known for outcompeting mandarins and other dragonets. And in several, picking at the eyes of dragonets.

Mandarins have a very short digestive tract and therefore need to eat constantly. In properly provided for systems there eating 4-8 pods a minute. This quickly depletes a pod population, so as stated earlier, even if it's eating pellets, that's only a minuscule part of it's needed nutrition.

Royal grammas and chalk bass are perfectly compatible, but rather the sixline would be the fish that prevents getting a gramma.

Due to the sixline adding fish will be difficult. Maybe a blenny, such as a midas or starry, perhaps a flame hawk.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 65 39.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 21.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 35.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.7%
Back