New GE silicone 1 safe???

khmer86

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello and happy holidays reefer!

Has anyone tried the new version of the GE silicone 1 or since the new version has mold free inhibitors that it is not safe to use? I’ve built a sump several years ago using the older style GE silicone 1 and never had any issues but this one has mold free which makes me wonder if it’s safe. Reason for asking is that I overlooked the label before buying and ended up buying it a few months back for new project coming soon. Thanks in advance!!
1901AD48-1E3F-445A-8E08-C1A280A1C9B7.jpeg

OP
OP
K

khmer86

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s what I was afraid of, thanks for the reply. Might have to use the Ge silicone for other projects besides aquarium build. Glad I looked before I used it

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s what I was afraid of, thanks for the reply. Might have to use the Ge silicone for other projects besides aquarium build. Glad I looked before I used it
A piece of advice. If your going to silicone to make a Tank you don't want the newest one on the market! You want the one that has been used on tanks that have been around for a decade or more and are known to hold up well.

OP
OP
K

khmer86

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A piece of advice. If your going to silicone to make a Tank you don't want the newest one on the market! You want the one that has been used on tanks that have been around for a decade or more and are known to hold up well.
Agreed but this is more for overflow box not silicone a tank. So I’m not too worried about it leaking and I’ve used the older version of GE 1 on plenty of sump baffles and overflow box no issues

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently looked on the website for Lowes and was unable to find the GE Silicone 1 that I used to use. Since the newer tube says mold-free I don't think it would be worth the risk even though it may just be a new label.
I've heard that loctite makes a aquarium safe silicone but I have never used it.

OP
OP
K

khmer86

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently looked on the website for Lowes and was unable to find the GE Silicone 1 that I used to use. Since the newer tube says mold-free I don't think it would be worth the risk even though it may just be a new label.
I've heard that loctite makes a aquarium safe silicone but I have never used it.
Yeah I heard about that too and also dap but I couldn’t find the exact one that the previous member posted on here so I’ll take the loss on the GE silicone I got and just buy the actual aquarium safe silicone.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I prefer , use and trust aqueon aquarium sealant

Grill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've built a few tanks. Momentives RTV series and ASI are a solid go to. With that being said I have also used GE silicone 1 on a small tank in my office, the tank is 3yrs old and I have had zero side effects. Corals, fish and parameters are all good.

Silicones.jpg

MCWL

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello and happy holidays reefer!

Has anyone tried the new version of the GE silicone 1 or since the new version has mold free inhibitors that it is not safe to use? I’ve built a sump several years ago using the older style GE silicone 1 and never had any issues but this one has mold free which makes me wonder if it’s safe. Reason for asking is that I overlooked the label before buying and ended up buying it a few months back for new project coming soon. Thanks in advance!!
1901AD48-1E3F-445A-8E08-C1A280A1C9B7.jpeg
Unless I was able to determine exactly what is in there, besides silicone. I personally wouldn’t use it. It is just not worth tailing the chance..just my 2 cents. Good luck

count krunk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only use silicone that says it right the on the label, safe for aquariums.

If I was going to build a tank I would contact manufacturers and see what they use.

It's pretty cheap, no need to save a few dollars per tube imo

Salty Rambler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used the Loctite -- the product worked well, but the packaging could have been better. It is definitely not as easy to use as other brands, but it gets the job done (slowly).

OP
OP
K

khmer86

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome find on that video! So basically is the same exact product just update label, now the question bears how much do you trust the company to use it on the aquarium lol. I have an order of full aquarium safe silicone arriving in another day or so, I’ll play it safe and not have to risk fish dying or breaking down the tank to reseal the overflow box

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 87 42.0%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 102 49.3%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 7 3.4%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 4 1.9%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 7 3.4%
Back