0   0   0
1702043685061.jpeg

FrugalReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the username! Any tips for living up to it ha?

1702045690307.jpeg

1702045720933.jpeg

1702045766523.jpeg

1702045860480.jpeg

Keep it simple and don’t think that you need the most expensive gear out there to have success in this hobby. I have a Waterbox nano with the only filtration being a ridiculously cheap protein skimmer (using Eheim airstone and pump and has been running over a year and picks up gunk as well as any other average protein skimmer out there), a Xenia/GSP refugium, the rocks and daily carbon dosing. I don’t run GFO, carbon or any type of mechanical filtration like socks. I use an inexpensive 150W Nicrew light which grows all types of coral well. I’m fortunate to have access to a quality source of natural seawater which I’ve been using for a while now. I don’t use any fancy Apex controller but rather a simple smart plug strip to control things. The only things I feed my corals are fish food/poop, ESV 2 part, Brightwell trace elements and Brightwell CoralAmino. I’m a big believer in the power of bacteria to not only control nutrients but to feed the corals as well, hence the carbon dosing. I don’t have any set water change schedule but rather go by how the tank is doing and how it looks. It sounds crazy and like a lazy approach but it’s been working for me.

Rusty_L_Shackleford

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone!

New member here from the Wilmington, NC area. I'm new to reefing but have been a long time freshwater planted guy. I will be working on setting up my first reef tank over the next month or so with the help of a buddy who has been at it a while. I've been lurking for a while trying to learn as much as I can and thought I ought to finally introduce myself.
Welcome! I live in north myrtle beach myself. We make the drive up to coastal reef in wilmington regularly. Hands down my favorite sps. Drop me a line when you get your tank up and I'll give you a few frags to get you started.

OP
OP
Fishy Guy

Fishy Guy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! I live in north myrtle beach myself. We make the drive up to coastal reef in wilmington regularly. Hands down my favorite sps. Drop me a line when you get your tank up and I'll give you a few frags to get you started.
Thank you very much, that's very generous! I'll let you know.

I've been to Coastal Reef once just to check things out in the very beginning stages of my research.

Rusty_L_Shackleford

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you very much, that's very generous! I'll let you know.

I've been to Coastal Reef once just to check things out in the very beginning stages of my research.
I'm an old school reefer. When I started out I had more experienced reefers to guide me and help me out, and I try to pay it forward. This can be a tough hobby and a little support goes a long way. Plus, I just like to frag and grow stuff and experiment so usually have a few more than I really have room for. Feel free to hit me up if you've got any questions or anything.

They're good people at coastal reef, great selection, fair prices, and solid advice. My wife and I drive 90 minutes to go there a couple of times a month.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 33 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 26 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 118 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.4%
Back