WiscoFishNut

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R.
From a past Wi guy to a current one..
Best Fish is an awesome store in Milwaukee.. amazing people and extremely helpful with an awesome selection.
Also join up with Wisconsin Reef Society online. Become a member and get to know a crap load of people. They are willing to trade and sell frags from their tanks for a fraction of the price. They are all amazing folk and I miss the heck out of not being there with them anymore.
Thanks a bunch for the tip, I'll check em out! Only about a 2 hour drive for me to get to MKE.

KorD

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks a bunch for the tip, I'll check em out! Only about a 2 hour drive for me to get to MKE.
At first you are going the be like... What the H E double hockey sticks.. but it is a small shop jammed packed with stuff. They also just held a huge frag fest and always try to do three or four things a year for their guests.. be is raise money for vets and so on.. I just wish I had an LFS here in Texas like I did there. I can't even find a local club that is good here.

OP
OP
WiscoFishNut

WiscoFishNut

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At first you are going the be like... What the H E double hockey sticks.. but it is a small shop jammed packed with stuff. They also just held a huge frag fest and always try to do three or four things a year for their guests.. be is raise money for vets and so on.. I just wish I had an LFS here in Texas like I did there. I can't even find a local club that is good here.
That's quite a change from WI! What part of TX? I lived in the "bustling" town of San Angelo for 10 years once upon a time. Now when I travel to TX for work it's Austin mostly. Whats the store in Milwaukee?

KorD

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's quite a change from WI! What part of TX? I lived in the "bustling" town of San Angelo for 10 years once upon a time. Now when I travel to TX for work it's Austin mostly. Whats the store in Milwaukee?
The store in MKE is Best Fish. They have an FB page, and their website lists all they have in stock at all times.. or it used too.

My wife got transferred here for work.. it was a large change for us. Been three years now and I still can understand why it gets so hot here. [emoji23]

Appleton also has a good fish store, but it does not compare to best fish imo.

OP
OP
WiscoFishNut

WiscoFishNut

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The store in MKE is Best Fish. They have an FB page, and their website lists all they have in stock at all times.. or it used too.

My wife got transferred here for work.. it was a large change for us. Been three years now and I still can understand why it gets so hot here. [emoji23]

Appleton also has a good fish store, but it does not compare to best fish imo.
Good deal, thanks for the lead, will check em out!

Salty Lemon

Doing my best to make waves.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
75 is such a perfect size! I love the 75s and the 90s because a 4-foot tank just makes the room look "right". I'm glad you have joined us. I have a couple suggestions...1. Keep it slow. I mean really slow. You can keep adding a fish or two each week and your water parameters are perfect, then you wake up one morning and almost everything is dead -- I speak from experience. Slower is better. 2. We are here if you need us. There are many saltwater tank veterans on this forum and I am super impressed about the way they are willing to jump in to help the newbies. 3. Clean out the canister filter every month. 4. How are the cheese curds in WI these days? We moved away from the Milwaukee area (best city/area ever) and I haven't had them since. Welcome to R2R!
Clownfish.gif

OP
OP
WiscoFishNut

WiscoFishNut

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
75 is such a perfect size! I love the 75s and the 90s because a 4-foot tank just makes the room look "right". I'm glad you have joined us. I have a couple suggestions...1. Keep it slow. I mean really slow. You can keep adding a fish or two each week and your water parameters are perfect, then you wake up one morning and almost everything is dead -- I speak from experience. Slower is better. 2. We are here if you need us. There are many saltwater tank veterans on this forum and I am super impressed about the way they are willing to jump in to help the newbies. 3. Clean out the canister filter every month. 4. How are the cheese curds in WI these days? We moved away from the Milwaukee area (best city/area ever) and I haven't had them since. Welcome to R2R!
Clownfish.gif

Thanks for the welcome and suggestions!

1. I'll definitely try.. That's the most challenging part of the hobby for me right now lol
2. This is pretty evident so far! I'm picking up all kinds of helpful info just reading through folks' build threads
3. Duly noted! I learned a lesson when I cleaned it on Sunday - I kind of shook out each tray in water I had just extracted during the water change, but neglected to add newly mixed saltwater to the filter and opted to re-prime it.. Got a nasty backwash that dumped a buncha crap that didn't come out in the cleaning right back in the tank. Took it a good 2 hours to clean up that mess..
4. They're so dang tasty! Simon's Cheese is only about a 10-15 minute drive from my house, so I can get em fresh the day they're made. I usually bring several pounds of cheese with me when I travel to my company's office in Austin lol. It's a fair trade for some bbq and tacos :)

o00brandon00o

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey folks,

I'm glad to have stumbled across this site! I've been lurking and reading for the last few days and decided to sign up so I could start participating.

About me - I was a military brat growing up, so I traveled pretty constantly most of which was overseas. I really got interested in fish when we got assigned to Andersen AFB, Guam. Snorkeling there in the tidal pools was amazing!! Fast forward almost 30 years(good grief) I'm elbows deep in to my first saltwater tank. I've had a bit of experience freshwater tanks and am learning the nuances of the saltwater world.

My current setup -I've only had fish in the tank for a little more than 2 weeks so far. I did attempt a bit of a cycle, and then like a n00b I rushed in to things... The fish are doing great and the water parameters have been pretty stable(ammonia never got over 3-4 ppm and is now almost undetectable, nitirite 0 ppm, nitrate maxxed at 30-40ppm and is now 20-25ppm). 75gal FOWLR setup, with a decent sized canister filter, 3 powerheads, and a small surface skimmer. For fish I have a bonded pair of clowns and a single purple dottyback, plus cleanup crew. I believe the clowns are extreme misbar black occellaris, but I'm a novice so I could be completely wrong(that's them in my avatar). If anyone can id em, I'd be grateful. I just added a CUC this last weekend so I'm helping that settles things down a bit and compensates for my bad habits. I'm starting with a FOWLR setup until I learn some things and basically get to know what the heck I'm doing before I even contemplate corals and nems and whatnot.

Anyhow, glad to be here and appreciate the massive amounts of content and knowledge!!

-Kris

@WiscoFishNut Welcome to R2R!!!

KorD

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rich was funny as all get out.
I am also trying to get ahold of Zesty and Todd_Sails.. another two amazing people.

One day I'm going to see if Ron can send me some Limpets food.. loved using that stuff in the past.

I'm glad you got the torch passed on to you, you have a lot of great looking corals. I might be placing an order in the near future

BoomCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rich was funny as all get out.
I am also trying to get ahold of Zesty and Todd_Sails.. another two amazing people.

One day I'm going to see if Ron can send me some Limpets food.. loved using that stuff in the past.

I'm glad you got the torch passed on to you, you have a lot of great looking corals. I might be placing an order in the near future

Yeah Rich added a lot of personality :) I don't think Matt(Zesty) or Todd keep reefs any longer.

Thanks for the compliment and I'd be happy to send some healthy corals down south!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
From Wisconsin here also. What city are you in?

5d3ed014fd2426469231993d5270ca1d.jpg

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 2.1%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 27 14.4%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 91 48.7%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 57 30.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.7%

Back