New here, ground up build. Pointers?

PoweredbyZeus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, thanks for having me! It’s settling in to winter here in Minnesota and I need a new hobby! I have a lot of experience scuba diving in the Mediterranean, Red Sea, various places in the Philippines as well. In hopes of reviving some memories from the past, I think I’d like to build a reef of my own. I know there’s many bits and pieces, along with a multitude of processes that need to come together to make this work. I’m willing to do my part and be patient. The necessary time and process to set it up, the substrate types, and rock types to start with etc. Not to mention all the corals and critters. Then there’s all the techy bits that my inner nerd swoons over. My head is spinning. Someone please send help. Thank you in advance!!!

TLDR: I’m starting with nothing. Any help with getting started, resources, etc would be greatly appreciated!

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!!!

Clownfish.gif

ajax969

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Research, research, research. Like it was said, go as big as space and budget allows.
also, PATIENCE, this gets preached a ton to all new reefers and I would venture to guess that almost no one follows it.
There is a ton of different ways to do this depending on budget/willingness to spend money/time.
You're not going to have your own slice of the great barrier reef overnight.

IMO, coral growth can go a few different ways: 1)spend a little money for smaller frags and invest time to watch them grow and deal with an "empty" looking tank for awhile; 2)spend money on larger colonies and enjoy tank having that "full" look from the get go and then enjoy the faster growth from larger colonies(It seems to me that coral growth tends to be somewhat exponential). Be mindful of coral on coral relations when it comes to placement and future growth.

As far as fish I would plan a "stocking list" but I wouldn't scribe it in stone. Fish of the same species will have different personalities and it's not always a guarantee that two fish will live together regardless of what the websites/people tell you. Loss will happen and depending on the preferred order of introduction it can kind of derail your plans of which fish you may have.

Your tank will look ugly at some point and don't get discouraged, stay diligent and pay attention to things such as parameters and routines and it will go smoother than you think.

Fish Styx

In Cod We Crust
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Greetings and welcome to the reef! My wife (The Dainty Dictator) and I have a house in the Phillippines. The diving is amazing! Don't be afraid to ask lots of questions, we're here to help! Also, go ahead and get that build thread started so we can follow along and share in your journey.

Last edited:

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
daffy-duck.gif

Welcome to the reef!

Real live rock from places like Tampa Bay Saltwater. Make sure it's shipped in water. In my set up I didn't use all live rock and sand but just 20 pounds each the rest was dry in my 75 gallon reef. It made a world of difference. Study study and when you think you have learned enough, go back and study some more. All of the you tube suggestions were where I started. Lots of great knowledge here at your finger tips. Below is a series that is kinda fun and a great way to see what it takes.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, thanks for having me! It’s settling in to winter here in Minnesota and I need a new hobby! I have a lot of experience scuba diving in the Mediterranean, Red Sea, various places in the Philippines as well. In hopes of reviving some memories from the past, I think I’d like to build a reef of my own. I know there’s many bits and pieces, along with a multitude of processes that need to come together to make this work. I’m willing to do my part and be patient. The necessary time and process to set it up, the substrate types, and rock types to start with etc. Not to mention all the corals and critters. Then there’s all the techy bits that my inner nerd swoons over. My head is spinning. Someone please send help. Thank you in advance!!!

TLDR: I’m starting with nothing. Any help with getting started, resources, etc would be greatly appreciated!
Live sand for sure, along with live rock. Average rock suggestion is around a pound per gallon of water. A protein skimmer, then you can go from there for whatever filtration you choose. Lighting is a huge consideration if you want corals. Do your research, there are lots out there, par is very important. I agree with the poster who said to go as big as you can, because that makes life much easier in the long run. And have fun. Welcome to R2R.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 24.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 34.7%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 28.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.7%
Back