"New" Ich med?

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's actually been used to treat the parasite for some time. It is used as antimalarial drug in humans.

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never used it but yes it said to be quite effective.

Treatments that claim to be reef safe always make me cautious.

I have no idea regarding what a therapeutic dose would be, it would might be hit and miss seeing as you have to make sure the fish eat an adequate amount of the medication.

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Pittsburgh zoo and aquarium years back used CP to treat a large display for ich. The display housed numerous clams and other livestock that was not effected by CP.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Pittsburgh zoo and aquarium years back used CP to treat a large display for ich. The display housed numerous clams and other livestock that was not effected by CP.
That's surprising!

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anyone confirm if this works in a reef? @Humblefish

CP is NOT reef safe. For starters, it is a strong algaecide. So it would probably kill the zooxanthellae that lives inside most corals. I don't believe any extensive experimentation has been done, but I wouldn't trust it with corals/inverts.

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's surprising!
From what I remember on the discussion they mixed it with the food and didn't allow it to clump and land directly on the clams.

This would be very hard to do in a reef tank of the size we keep so I would never try it. But ive seen crazier things happen in this hobby

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I remember on the discussion they mixed it with the food and didn't allow it to clump and land directly on the clams.

This would be very hard to do in a reef tank of the size we keep so I would never try it. But ive seen crazier things happen in this hobby

The problem with CP laced food is Chloroquine is very bitter tasting. I've tasted it. :p Nori loving tangs will usually stop eating it after an hour or two of CP exposure.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW; here is another CP laced food already on the market: http://www.drgsmarineaquaculture.com/anti-parasitic-caviar-detail.cfm

However, I do not feel medicated food is capable of eradicating ich, velvet, etc. due to the prolonged periods these parasites spend "off fish". Ich tomonts, for example, can spend up to 72 days encysted upon rocks, shells, substrate - and possibly even corals/inverts - before releasing theronts (aka free swimmers) which seek out fish to infect.

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The problem with CP laced food is Chloroquine is very bitter tasting. I've tasted it. :p Nori loving tangs will usually stop eating it after an hour or two of CP exposure.
I can imagine it not tasting very good, in all honesty what medication does haha.

But I would think adding additional items as fresh pressed garlic, vita chem and selcon would spruce it up a bit in the taste dept.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But while we're on the subject of medicated fish food, I do feel the products below are useful for treating:

Gill flukes: http://www.drgsmarineaquaculture.com/frozen-dewormer-detail.cfm

Bacterial infections/internal worms: http://www.drgsmarineaquaculture.com/frozen-antibacterial-detail.cfm

The difference is these diseases spend most of their life cycle "on fish", so they are susceptible to ingested medications. As mentioned above, all external parasites (exs. ich, velvet, brook, uronema) spend most of their life cycle "off fish" and that shields them from anything which does not treat the water directly.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 37.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back