New lionfish!

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@lion king I know my guy is still new to the tank, tried feeding him some small pieces of rods predator and no interest, tried with the fishing line. Just wondering how long I should try this before getting him some live food and what live food should I start him on if it comes to that? Just want to make sure the little guy gets what he needs since he is super small and young!

Pickle_soup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@lion king I know my guy is still new to the tank, tried feeding him some small pieces of rods predator and no interest, tried with the fishing line. Just wondering how long I should try this before getting him some live food and what live food should I start him on if it comes to that? Just want to make sure the little guy gets what he needs since he is super small and young!
Mysis is my go-to food with picky eaters.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A new lion I always make sure they eat right away, it's the best metric to access their health. If they are not interested in dead food I will offer them live ghost shrimp and/or guppies, after they have eaten well, after a couple/few feedings, you can start to offer them dead food using various methods to see which foods and methods they will respond to. At that point a few days without eating is fine, but I DO NOT believe in the starvation method to get them to eat dead food. Feeding fresh dead ghosties or guppies is a good first step to getting them to eat dead food. Multiple methods including the baster, stick, hemo's, and just keeping the food suspended in the water column with the feeding stick. Volitans usually respond pretty quickly.

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A volitan? Mine took a week to start eating dead. Now I can’t get it to stop. Got some salmon today though:

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A new lion I always make sure they eat right away, it's the best metric to access their health. If they are not interested in dead food I will offer them live ghost shrimp and/or guppies, after they have eaten well, after a couple/few feedings, you can start to offer them dead food using various methods to see which foods and methods they will respond to. At that point a few days without eating is fine, but I DO NOT believe in the starvation method to get them to eat dead food. Feeding fresh dead ghosties or guppies is a good first step to getting them to eat dead food. Multiple methods including the baster, stick, hemo's, and just keeping the food suspended in the water column with the feeding stick. Volitans usually respond pretty quickly.
Cool! Im going to try with a stick with rods since it has a large variety of meat for him and if not Ill get some shrimp and guppies from the store for him! can I convert guppies to salt water I cant remember if they are like mollies. Got a spare 10 gallon I can keep them in. And yeah I dont want to starve him at all!

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A volitan? Mine took a week to start eating dead. Now I can’t get it to stop. Got some salmon today though:

Beautiful fish!!! Is that your 125? How many fish do you have??

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful fish!!! Is that your 125? How many fish do you have??
  1. Banded snake eel 26"
  2. Gold spotted snake eel 25"
  3. Snowflake eel 15"
  4. Engineer gobies 10"
  5. Magnificent foxface 7"
  6. Pearscale butterfly 3"
  7. Regal angelfish 2.5"
  8. Zebra angelfish 4"
  9. Red coris wrasse 3"
  10. Melanarus wrasse 4"
  11. Dragon wrasse 3"
  12. Bluestreak cleaner wrasse 2"
  13. Falco hawk 3"
  14. Maroon clownfish 3.5"
  15. Volitan lionfish 3"
  16. Lunare wrasse 2”

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool! Im going to try with a stick with rods since it has a large variety of meat for him and if not Ill get some shrimp and guppies from the store for him! can I convert guppies to salt water I cant remember if they are like mollies. Got a spare 10 gallon I can keep them in. And yeah I dont want to starve him at all!
You can
I’ve had them for a few months in full saltwater. Can’t breed though

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can
I’ve had them for a few months in full saltwater. Can’t breed though
Gotcha, I want to get him on frozen so I would hope that would be enough time! Can I also keep feeder shrimp and stuff in salt?

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotcha, I want to get him on frozen so I would hope that would be enough time! Can I also keep feeder shrimp and stuff in salt?
Unfortunately saltwater feeder shrimp are very hard to come by. They seem to be constantly out of stock. Honestly I doubt anything you add will last very long. The lion will gorge itself.

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately saltwater feeder shrimp are very hard to come by. They seem to be constantly out of stock. Honestly I doubt anything you add will last very long. The lion will gorge itself.
I I was more wondering to keep them until he is ready to eat again in a separate tank

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 72 29.9%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 69 28.6%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 51 21.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 47 19.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.8%
Back